You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Minigame Competition 2020 - RESULTS!
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 5  Next Page »
posted 08-11-20 07:49 AM CT (US)   

RESULTS

SCORES
EntryJulius999Devious DevTotal
MGC20 - Rebirth of the Colosseum374582
MGC20 - Battle of Mumendao Canyon394079
MGC20 - Genghis Khan's Cursed Tomb343670
MGC20 - The European Connector373269

Welcome to the AoKH Minigame Competition, the seventh of its kind since it all began in 2007! This is a contest where designers try to create the best scenario they can on a 25x25 or smaller map. You can uses any style of scenario you like and our previous winners have demonstrated that. Over the years we have seen humorous arcade style scenarios, dreamlike puzzle scenarios and fixed force battles, all squeezed into a tiny map. This is a competition that focuses on precision and creativity and there are no limits (beyond the map size) to what you can do.

For some inspiration check out some of the minigames previously entered into the competition:
The Escabar Ruin - by Lord Basse (winner of the 2009 competition)
All For the Horse - by Dtrungle (runner-up in the 2011 competition)
In Your Dream - by Tlaloc_3rd (winner of the 2011 competition)
In the Nick of Time - by Night Conqueror (winner of the 2012 competition)
The Departure of Boromir - by HockeySam18 (winner of the 2014 competition)

Sign up as an entrant (or a judge, unless the positions have been filled!) by posting here in the thread, and upload your entry to the Blacksmith before 7th November 2020!

• Your entry must be a single player scenario, on a map size of 25x25 or lower; this map template can be found in the Blacksmith here.

• Your scenario can be any style; role-playing game, fixed force, build and destroy (if you can fit that on a 25x25 map!); but it must be playable, i.e. not a cutscene.

• Mod packs and data editing are NOT allowed.

• AoE2: HD and its expansions ARE allowed.

• AoE2: DE and its expansions ARE allowed.

• You can't enter anything already submitted to the Blacksmith or the Steam Workshop. You may upload them to both places simultaneously, but your entry must be made specifically for this competition.

• The deadline for submissions is 7th November 2020. The deadline may be extended if there are too few entries, but don't count on it!

• When uploading your entry, please submit it to Single Player Scenarios and add MGC20 to the title of your game, i.e. "MGC20 - Scenario Title". This will help downloaders find your submission and also keep them in kind with previous entries.

If you wish, and are good with keeping deadlines, you can sign up as a judge instead of an entrant! The judges will judge all entries by giving marks (along with a short motivation) in each of the following categories:

Playability - out of 20
Creativity and story - out of 15
Map design - out of 15

Total: out of 50

Judges:
- Julus999
- Devious Dev
- Seb

The Winner will receive a Custom Title or the option to change it if they already have one.

The top three entries will each receive an Official Review.

- HellKnight61
- Duyhung2h
- Possidon
- Vost04
- Thanathor
- Bruns
- Nowhere
- Igleior
- yuezhuo67

GOOD LUCK TO AL THE CONTESTANTS

[This message has been edited by Possidon (edited 04-22-2021 @ 03:39 AM).]

Replies:
posted 08-11-20 09:02 AM CT (US)     1 / 159  
Sign me up.
posted 08-11-20 11:06 AM CT (US)     2 / 159  
Well i haven't got the time to make or brainstorm any idea, and DE editor was being a b**** on me, but i think i'll sign up anyway and post my work if i have the time for it. Will spare some time playing the old contestant works too.

✰~Make your dreams come true by finishing whatever you hold dear most~✰
YOU ._________________________________________________________________________.DO
CAN/±±±±±±±\__/±±±±±±±\__/FROM VIETNAM WITH LOVE\__/±±±±±±±\__/±±±±±±±\IT
VERY useful tool for map designers
Check out my Youtube channel for AoE2 Editor, modding tips and tricks!
Gensokyo: Season of Calamity | El Nath (Winner of ZeroEmpires designer contest) | Rebirth of the Colosseum (Winner of 2020 Minigame Competition) | And more...
posted 08-11-20 11:11 AM CT (US)     3 / 159  
Nice to see another contest up! I'm very doubtful that I'll have time to enter or help out with the judging due to real life obligations, but we'll see. Good luck to the contestants regardless!

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] || [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ ||____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalλn (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 08-12-20 09:38 AM CT (US)     4 / 159  
Sounds like fun, I'll try to find the time to participate!
posted 08-12-20 01:15 PM CT (US)     5 / 159  
There seems to be a problem using the .scn map file for the definitive version, as I'm saving it to .aoe2scenario it causes an error. Does anyone know of a workaround? Or if you converted a .scn file to .aoe2scenario successfully, please provide a downloadable link for the 25x25.aoe2scenario file.

YOU ._________________________________________________________________________.DO
Gensokyo: Season of Calamity | El Nath (Winner of ZeroEmpires designer contest) | Rebirth of the Colosseum (Winner of 2020 Minigame Competition) | And more...
posted 08-12-20 01:34 PM CT (US)     6 / 159  
Here's a 25x25 size map that works with HD and DE:
http://aok.heavengames.com/blacksmith/showfile.php?fileid=13605
(might still be under review for a bit)
posted 08-12-20 03:58 PM CT (US)     7 / 159  
posted 08-12-20 03:58 PM CT (US)     8 / 159  
don't rename the file, i placed it as it is (*.scn) and worked fine.

Discord.[BOT] Alan#6678
steam. [BOT] Alan
posted 08-18-20 00:36 AM CT (US)     9 / 159  
I'd be thrilled to be a judge in this contest!

I'm far too rusty in my trigger-writing to cook up a proper project in time to submit for this year, but I'd sure like to see first-hand what other members of the community can come up with.

* * * (-) | ―\I/― )¬, () |) |-|- ,O /^V^\ | * * *
-==-==-==-==-==-==-==-==-==-==-
...Still working on The Epic of Gilgamesh...
posted 08-18-20 09:22 AM CT (US)     10 / 159  
Sign me up.
posted 08-18-20 10:56 AM CT (US)     11 / 159  
This looks great fun! I am extremely unlikely to be able to enter, but since I do have a fortnight off in October and we're likely to be hunkered down in a second lockdown, if the stars align I may be able to make a small entry.

Forummer of the Year, All in All Winner, Nicest Forummer, The Sebastien-Barbarossa Medal (FotY-2011)
Most Missed Forummer (FotY-2012)
posted 08-19-20 06:06 AM CT (US)     12 / 159  
Updated the lists - including Styrophome as a judge. Glad to have you on board.
posted 08-19-20 05:34 PM CT (US)     13 / 159  
Sweet! Good luck to everyone, and may your bug-testing be minimally-frustrating.

posted 08-20-20 10:58 AM CT (US)     14 / 159  
Are 25x25 even maps stable in DE? Has anyone tested them out?

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
posted 08-20-20 12:19 PM CT (US)     15 / 159  
Mine is working so far, but I haven't tested much!

Forummer of the Year, All in All Winner, Nicest Forummer, The Sebastien-Barbarossa Medal (FotY-2011)
posted 08-20-20 01:58 PM CT (US)     16 / 159  
Yes one was uploaded to the blacksmith which seems to work. I know a couple of people are already creating maps on them for the contest.
posted 08-20-20 10:56 PM CT (US)     17 / 159  
Hmm maybe I'll give this a go then.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
posted 08-21-20 02:00 PM CT (US)     18 / 159  
They work on DE but much like on HD they can (rarely) cause your savefile to corrupt, so make backups
posted 08-25-20 11:59 AM CT (US)     19 / 159  
Are 25x25 even maps stable in DE?
Mine is working so far, but I haven't tested much!
I spoke too soon...

posted 09-13-20 06:01 AM CT (US)     20 / 159  
My Entry is completed. Here's a link to the Blacksmith file(might need some time to be approved): http://aok.heavengames.com/blacksmith/showfile.php?fileid=13621

I present to you:

An alternate reality where the Roman Colosseum had a grand reopening after 800 years, during the Italian Renaissance.

posted 09-14-20 07:44 AM CT (US)     21 / 159  
@duyhung2h--> I suggest you testing your scenario with its all aspects to avoid from your last contest event this time. You have still 45 days to update your scenario or clean remaining bugs. I am giving you this advice because I remember greatly the consequence of your last contest.

[This message has been edited by HELLKNIGHT61 (edited 09-14-2020 @ 09:50 AM).]

posted 09-14-20 08:25 AM CT (US)     22 / 159  
Damn thats an early entry. Still a month and a half to go!

Time of Tea
Still in the Dark Age
Don't be a melodramatic clown. ~Mr Wednesday
posted 09-14-20 11:03 AM CT (US)     23 / 159  
There's no need for worry - I finished making this map in just a month - including the testing period which I rounded up 6 different playtesters. So far I fixed all the bugs I can find and there's no unexpected bug left. I even took players feedback about balancing and to make sure I haven't missed anything either.
If anything I even planned to add a scoring system to rate your own playthrough but I didn't find that necessary :P

If there's anything I'm sure it isn't gonna be game-breaking either. Or it would be an out-of-boundary bug that a player would create in his own will. I just want to get this out quick because I'll be busier this month - my new college semester just started.

posted 09-15-20 02:44 AM CT (US)     24 / 159  
[updating]

[This message has been edited by Dolzonek123 (edited 09-15-2020 @ 02:45 AM).]

posted 09-25-20 11:06 AM CT (US)     25 / 159  
There's one more month left, and my entry is already uploaded to the Blacksmith, but I just had sudden inspirational ideas that I wanna implement, despite there wasn't any bug in the current version (According to HELLKNIGHT61 feedback, thanks for the review!)

Am I allowed to modify the entry Blacksmith file or do I have to take it down and upload a new one?

posted 09-25-20 04:41 PM CT (US)     26 / 159  
NEWS: I finished my entry very earlier than the last date. Because it is a short 25x25 scenario. Also I will be busier in the next days in my real life. I sent my file to the blacksmith.

Tracking Number: 13629 (Genghis Khan's Cursed Tomb)

SOME FACTS

- This file contains both HD and DE versions of my scenario. The HD version is the original version. The DE version is the port version. In fact I wanted to make my scenario with DE editor. But my computer is 2013 model computer with 4 GB Ram. So DE Editor works extremely slow in my computer. Because of this reason I made my scenario with steam HD version. After that I ported my scenario for DE version. So both 2 versions are available in this file. Both versions are same. Only there are some minor differences about the map design.
- Both HD and DE players can play this scenario by installing the related folder. HD players need to have all 3 expansion packs.

[This message has been edited by HELLKNIGHT61 (edited 09-25-2020 @ 04:44 PM).]

posted 09-26-20 03:58 AM CT (US)     27 / 159  
Entries are allowed to be updated until the deadline. Once the deadline has passed you may not update your entry until the competition has finished and the results published.
posted 09-29-20 02:33 PM CT (US)     28 / 159  
I'm afraid I need to be removed from the judges list. I'm going to be moving in early November, and won't be able to spare the time (or probably even have the desktop with internet ready) to play each contestant's entry and write up a solid review of each.

Sorry guys. Still, I really look forward to seeing what everyone brings to the competition this year!

posted 09-30-20 08:46 PM CT (US)     29 / 159  
Yeah, **** it, I think I can cook up something for this, even though I will end up with a last place, 50/100 again but hey, whatever...

That's a sign up as an entrant btw if you couldn't tell...

Back to listening to Turisas 6 hours a day it is then...
posted 10-02-20 11:36 AM CT (US)     30 / 159  
Igelior - Added!

Styrophome - That's fine I for one completely understand the pressures of real life. If you end up having time when the judging starts then feel free to sign up again.
posted 10-11-20 12:36 PM CT (US)     31 / 159  
I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to get a map done in time. With the lockdown ending it's a lot of catching up. I might try to finish it later but for this comp I'm unfortunately out
posted 10-21-20 11:18 PM CT (US)     32 / 159  
Sign me up

However, I may not be able to submit the documents on time. The university that just started may make me too busy to prepare for the game. (* sigh)

[This message has been edited by yuezhuo67 (edited 10-21-2020 @ 11:20 PM).]

posted 10-26-20 09:55 PM CT (US)     33 / 159  
@yuezhuo67 If you're starting from scratch, I don't know what kind of crazy idea you can come up with, considering making a new map and then do a bug testing period takes a lot of time (you don't want your map to be turned out unplayable). I just want to suggest you relax and enjoy the show.

Not many new entries, and we only have 3 days left. So get your games up peoples! I don't want my entry to only be up against HELLKNIGHT's map.

posted 10-27-20 02:36 AM CT (US)     34 / 159  
@duyhung2h--> My last contest was "Fantasy Scenario Contest 2019". We were only 2 contestant people in that contest. (Me and iLikeHell) I think that this contest looks like same with my last contest. This time me and you will fight instead of iLikeHell. I hope that Possidon and some other people will send their entries as the last surprise attack.

[This message has been edited by HELLKNIGHT61 (edited 10-27-2020 @ 02:37 AM).]

posted 10-27-20 05:39 AM CT (US)     35 / 159  
The deadline for submissions is 31st October 2020. The deadline may be extended if there are too few entries, but don't count on it!
As stated above, the deadline might be extended for busier designers, but for how long I have no idea.

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 5  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Minigame Competition 2020 - RESULTS!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames