You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Town's Crier
Moderated by Major Helper

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.24 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Town's Crier » Games Discussion: What, There're Other Games Besides AoK?!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Games Discussion: What, There're Other Games Besides AoK?!
Major Helper
AoKH Survivor, Mr. White Teeth
posted 11-27-19 05:14 AM CT (US)         
This thread is for general chat about other games you play besides AoK and its expansions/refreshes. Talk about the new game you just bought, recommend great games to others, inform people about great deals on Humble Bundle or whatever.

Be nice.

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_
You, you... Finnish Barstool! - Enraged Popeychops
Major Helper: Helping AoE3H Housewives since 2008 - As_Saffah
I spent 3 months trying to convince a door that I was an intelligent life form and gave up. - TLM
Winner of "Nicest" (2012-2016), "Most Helpful" (2014) and "Best Moderator" (2015-2016) Forummer Awards
-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-
AuthorReplies:
Major Helper
posted 11-27-19 05:19 AM CT (US)     1 / 24       
To kick us off, I've been playing Noita and Slay the Spire lately.

Noita's a 2D roguelite with physics and magic. Super fun and its got mods too. So many ways to die, but that can be fun too. The magic wand system's a bit complicated to figure out, but once you do, it's great. The game's a still in early access, but it works very well, I've only had a couple crashes and one freeze so far (and it's made by a Finnish studio)

Slay the Spire's a roguelike card game where you fight increasingly tough enemies and pray to get good card combos during your travels. Haven't played this as much as Noita, but it's a good game you can play with just your mouse from the comfort of your sofa or something

I spent 3 months trying to convince a door that I was an intelligent life form and gave up. - TLM
Winner of "Nicest" (2012-2016), "Most Helpful" (2014) and "Best Moderator" (2015-2016) Forummer Awards
-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-
Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
(id: Moff Yittreas)
posted 11-27-19 07:16 AM CT (US)     2 / 24       
I mean, technically SWGB can be called an AoK expansion.

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
Major Helper
posted 11-27-19 07:44 AM CT (US)     3 / 24       
Would defining it as "games not made by Ensemble Studios or otherwise related to Age of Empires" be more apt, then ?

HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 11-27-19 07:50 AM CT (US)     4 / 24       
On the occasion, I play the NHL series with some of my ice hockey teammates. It's a fun game, the latest iterations have made considerable strides in terms of realism and adding features to allow you more of the options that an actual ice hockey player would have, and it's always entertaining when you have a group of people in a room who are passionate about a sport playing a game based on that sport.

I daresay it's a similar feeling to what you would get if you stuck a few people with a passion for medieval history in a room and had them play AoK together

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
Major Helper
posted 11-27-19 08:04 AM CT (US)     5 / 24       
It has been a long time since I last played games with people in the same room. It was probably back in primary school, when we might've played Tony Hawk's Pro Skater or something. In fact, I don't even play much multiplayer anymore I think Rocket League was the latest one that I played for a while.

I guess I'm just waiting for the definitive MMORPG with zillions of non-combat skills so I can just concentrate on chopping down the forests and fishing the seas empty like I did back in the day in Runescape.

Sebastien
Dark Samurai
posted 11-27-19 08:48 AM CT (US)     6 / 24       
I've recently aquired the free month of Origin thanks to them giving it out to those who signed up to 2FA. Though, I imagine it's a lot of people because my account was constantly getting hacked without it.

Anyway, so that's been fun. I've managed to test some games out that I never got the chance to play before. I completed all of the battlefield games and I must say, all the hate on BF5 was unwarranted. I actually felt they did a pretty good job of sharing different stories, and a lot of the 'problems' before launch people were claiming the game had, weren't actually there. Perhaps it was their marketing that gave the wrong impression of what they were trying to do. However, after playing Battlefield single player, I can honestly say they got nothing on COD. All of the games were riddled with bugs and frustrations at different times, including one in BF5 where I couldn't change weapons or shoot anything unless swapping out my gun with something else. I also felt the story and dialogue was a bit strange at times and really forced.

Anyway, rn I'm playing Shadow Tactics and Tropico 6 which is fun. The real question is... do I continue to pay the $5 it costs per month to keep playing them, cus I'd really like to check out the Need for Speeds too.

[This message has been edited by Sebastien (edited 11-27-2019 @ 08:53 AM).]

Lord Basse
MI6 Scenario-Making Machine
posted 11-27-19 09:55 AM CT (US)     7 / 24       
I mean, technically SWGB can be called an AoK expansion.
Well, I would maybe put it in the top 10 list for AoK mods...

I haven't really played any of the games mentioned so far. Lately I have been playing quite a bit of Minecraft on a private server with a few friends. It's still as addicting as it was when I last played it, which must have been four-five years ago.

I also finished the latest Tomb Raider game, and I started playing the first game in the new trilogy. They are quite fun, although the button-mashing gets pretty annoying at times.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 95,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
(id: Moff Yittreas)
posted 11-27-19 10:33 AM CT (US)     8 / 24       
Actually, been firing up the old Interplay Trek games lately... Starfleet Academy and Starfleet Command.

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
rewaider
Squire
posted 11-27-19 12:49 PM CT (US)     9 / 24       
Been playing some Destiny 2 (althought its launch was a complete disaster, its pretty good to play w friends now. Raids are really something else).

Tho the 2 games I've most enjoyed this year were Metro Exodus and Don't Escape: 4 Days to Survive (highly recommend this one, for the price tag its a steal).

The Fall of Hummaria -- Teaser [4.2] -- Project's Thread
Cavern Pirates -- The Treasure Hunt [4.6] -- Captain's Revenge
My Blacksmith
Mr Wednesday
Cavalier
(id: matty12345)
posted 11-27-19 01:05 PM CT (US)     10 / 24       
On the occasion, I play the NHL series with some of my ice hockey teammates. It's a fun game, the latest iterations have made considerable strides in terms of realism and adding features to allow you more of the options that an actual ice hockey player would have, and it's always entertaining when you have a group of people in a room who are passionate about a sport playing a game based on that sport.

I daresay it's a similar feeling to what you would get if you stuck a few people with a passion for medieval history in a room and had them play AoK together
I totally play this too. Do you play with 2 or 4 players? I like playing with 4, two guys in goal and two guys skating. Human controlled goalies aren't as good usually as the computer, so it makes for wilder games. Plus, it's fun to yell at your partner for giving up a soft goal or hanging you out to dry with an odd man rush.

As for other games, I'm working through Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. Dark Souls is one of my favourite game series, so it's not surprising I like this game, but I'm surprised how good it is. It's one of the slickest, most polished games I ever played, up there with the newest God of War and Witcher 3 for presentation, but way better gameplay than either of those. Probably game of the year, though I have missed some big titles.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king

[This message has been edited by Mr Wednesday (edited 11-27-2019 @ 01:06 PM).]

Popeychops
"Cool" Huskarl
posted 11-27-19 02:47 PM CT (US)     11 / 24       
I've been playing Elite Dangerous during the down-time since I finished my PhD. (Oh, that reminds me...)

I've always enjoyed flight sims and Elite is no exception. Having unlocked two out of the big three corvettes, I have the money to run them all if I want. There are some problems but generally it's a fun sandbox. It's better with other people, and you can follow viable paths as a trader, miner, bounty hunter, pirate or explorer.

The grind can be dull, but at least the money meta is in a good place right now with some lategame passenger missions giving ~50m credits an hour, enough to buy a decent combat ship in an afternoon.

Member of BlackForest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
and The Seas of Egressa (4.8) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile
Major Helper
posted 11-27-19 03:01 PM CT (US)     12 / 24       
I find it amusing how everybody plays such wildly different games

@Lord Basse:

Ah yes, Minecraft. I get the urge to play it every once in a while (modded nowadays). My biggest issue with MC's probably the lack of feeling accomplishment. Or actually, maybe it's the opposite, I get the feel too easily and then stop playing because "I've already achieved what I wanted". Or to put it in another way: I always, always do an arms race to get the best/almost the best equipment possible and when I do, I don't feel like playing anymore Like I stopped playing previously after I got some wyvern equipment and decided that upgrading to draconic would've been too much pain for not enough gain (Draconic Evolution mod). Playing on Pop's server was probably the most fun I had in MC ever, since the whole modding thing was still fresh to me and I had zero idea what I was doing. The whole "build nice looking things" was never my strong point, on the other hand. Always enjoyed digging more

Oh and more broadly, the arms race thing is my issue in every game I play, pretty much. I almost never get the absolute best stuff either, just the tier below that, since oftentimes the best stuff's too hard/grindy to get.

Noita's good in that regard since everything's randomized so you can't aim for anything, you just hope for the best Sometimes you get nothing and plink away at enemies with your piddly starting wand for way too long, and sometimes you're Sir Killalot by the time you finish the first/second area

John the Late
Knight
posted 11-27-19 04:04 PM CT (US)     13 / 24       
I also played quite a bit of Destiny 2 with friends last month. It's certainly a good game to just relax and shoot some things (ok, while franctically jumping around the place) in the evening while on a group call.

Also played some Stronghold Crusader again. If anyone still cares about this game, there's an amazing fan-made exe patch to check out! https://github.com/Sh0wdown/UnofficialCrusaderPatch/releases
HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 11-27-19 04:29 PM CT (US)     14 / 24       
I totally play this too. Do you play with 2 or 4 players? I like playing with 4, two guys in goal and two guys skating. Human controlled goalies aren't as good usually as the computer, so it makes for wilder games. Plus, it's fun to yell at your partner for giving up a soft goal or hanging you out to dry with an odd man rush.
4 when possible. I've played with human goalies before, but it's also fun to have all 4 as skaters - everyone goes and bundles each other and setting each other up for goals is nice. The downside is the way the game arbitrarily decides which human on your team receives the puck when it's passed to a computer player can make things a bit dodgy.

Back in college we used to do 1v1 and 2v2 games and turn them into pregames before going out...things tended to get a bit rowdy, as one might expect

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
Popeychops
"Cool" Huskarl
posted 11-27-19 07:30 PM CT (US)     15 / 24       
Playing on Pop's server was probably the most fun I had in MC ever, since the whole modding thing was still fresh to me and I had zero idea what I was doing. The whole "build nice looking things" was never my strong point, on the other hand. Always enjoyed digging more
Sorry I had to close it down. Nobody was willing to pay to keep it running

Member of BlackForest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
and The Seas of Egressa (4.8) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile
Lord Basse
posted 11-28-19 06:45 AM CT (US)     16 / 24       
@ Major

The building is definitely the part I enjoy the most, but I still always play in Survival Mode because none of the accomplishments really feel earned in Creative. I usually tend to take on projects that are way too large, so I end up with big buildings with basically nothing in them.

My next project is to build a Mesoamerican step pyramid in the jungle... but I have no idea when I'm goint to get the time to actually do it haha.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 95,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
Possidon
Slayer
posted 11-28-19 03:45 PM CT (US)     17 / 24       
Out of curiosity I actually checked out Runescape the other day for the first time in about 10 years. It shames me to say that I actually really enjoyed playing it again and I got a bit hooked. It was only when my stomach was telling me to eat that I realised I had been playing for about four hours.
Lurkur
Squire
(id: OtmShankIiI)
posted 11-29-19 02:16 AM CT (US)     18 / 24       
...It was because of that stupid Yak Track event, was it? Nowadays I feel like the only thing that's there to do is to grind, and then grind some more. Or what, were you talking about oldschool?

Not counting Ruinedscape, I've been splitting my time between Fallout 3 (Point Lookout Reborn is amazing) and Minecraft. Currently planning how to best improve a village I just found, after I'm done building that aok mill/underground farm combo >_>

"Seriously, if human stupidity could be used as a source of power wed already be a class-III civilization and our rockets wouldve reached Andromeda by now."
« Cliffs! (4.5) »

["I am the True God, Lua-kuh. Hhsssss. Start the Church of the Talking Lizard. Hssssssss. Build the Neo Temple. Spread the Word. Hssssssssssss. Follow meeeeeeeee... to... the otha... siiiiiiiide..."

And then he started belting out vague poetry about wanting to have sex with his mom." -From the great old Aro, about a dream I had.]

[This message has been edited by Lurkur (edited 11-29-2019 @ 02:17 AM).]

Lord Sipia
Squire
posted 11-29-19 04:46 AM CT (US)     19 / 24       
I tend to pick out a few things from the Humble Bundle that interest me, but I haven't had the time or energy lately to really dig into big-name titles. Slay the Spire, as Major mentioned, is pretty fun to play from time to time. I also have a habit of playing Stardew Valley for weeks at a time, leaving it, and then coming back again for another binge after a month or two. It's a really good value purchase if you haven't got it yet. Gives you hours of relaxing fun.

Oh, and I bought a 3DS last summer and have been using it to play Fire Emblem games, which are solid for the most part. Nintendo products don't seem to go down in price much even years after launch, though. I guess PC gaming spoiled me in that regard, I'm used to waiting for big sales.

"Have you ever had a dream that you thought was impossible to achieve? Well, some people say nothing is impossible. But I do nothing every day! So you can definitely do it."
--Tofu the dog's infinite wisdom

"British English is easy! Just use an 's' instead of a 'z' and replace 'or' with 'our' and you're dandy." "Do you want pissa our noodles for dinner?" "u better not piss in r noodles m8"
--Classic exchange between Popeychops and John the Late
Mithril Knight
Squire
posted 11-30-19 09:50 PM CT (US)     20 / 24       
Minecraft is a helluva drug from me. I've done good progress in my modded world, finally getting the excavator machine of the tech mod I'm using to run, though I still am far from fully automating my fuel production for the RF generator so I can only operate it intermittently. Funnily enough this modded world was the one to finally convert me to redstone automation as I need to automate my gathering of raw materials (i.e. sugar cane and melons, among others) for fuel.

I occasionally also do Pokemon runs or shake things up with a roguelike or EU4. And I always go back to Stardew Valley when a new update drops (so I might do that soon as the update dropped a few days ago).

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms

[This message has been edited by Mithril Knight (edited 11-30-2019 @ 09:52 PM).]

Lord Basse
posted 12-01-19 09:12 AM CT (US)     21 / 24       
I don't think I ever played with mods in Minecraft, it's all vanilla survival mode here.

Here's a shot of my most foolhardy project so far, a white tower with a domed top. This took me far more time than I care to admit, and the interior's still pretty empty.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
Major Helper
posted 12-01-19 11:21 AM CT (US)     22 / 24       
I like the juxtaposition between the marbley buildings and the thatch roofed cottage, although I did basically the same thing on Pop's server with my granite Tower Finlandese and then a similar cottage to yours nearby

Mithril Knight
Squire
posted 12-01-19 05:57 PM CT (US)     23 / 24       
Here's a shot of my most foolhardy project so far, a white tower with a domed top. This took me far more time than I care to admit, and the interior's still pretty empty.
I respect the effort, Basse, but I cannot respect someone who builds with bird poop/diorite.

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms
Lord Basse
posted 12-02-19 06:03 AM CT (US)     24 / 24       
It's the closest thing I could get to marble.
I like the juxtaposition between the marbley buildings and the thatch roofed cottage, although I did basically the same thing on Pop's server with my granite Tower Finlandese and then a similar cottage to yours nearby
The cottage is my starter house, and I just started building the tower just next to it. At this point it's basically the guest house of the estate.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames