Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.7 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Town's Crier » The Mandalorian
Bottom
Topic Subject:The Mandalorian
Mr Wednesday
Cavalier
(id: matty12345)
posted 11-28-19 02:16 PM CT (US)         
Spoilers for the Mandalorian follow: Moff, star wars nerds, please discuss.

I've seen the first three episodes. It's good. It's good in a good way too. The Force Awakens was good if you just wanted a slightly more diverse A New Hope, the kind of good that gets less good every time you think about it, let alone see it. The Last Jedi was good in that it was well made, and either you enjoyed the more extreme take on star wars or you hated it, but at least it looked great.

The Mandalorian is just good, as in good entertainment. I can't remember when star wars was just plain good. Well, I can't remember because it was before I was born.

And yet, it would not be star wars if I didn't have an itemized list of complaints:

1. Freaking baby Yoda. Look, I was on board at first. Maybe some backstory on Yoda's species? I'm down. The thing is, you just know star wars is going there. Yes there. That place where for a noobish moment they kill the franchise. Like when they decided 'becoming one with the force' when you die isn't just something that happens to those in tune with the force, no it's a 'technique' you have to learn from Liam Neeson. And maybe you think that stupid change is meaningless, but then Ip Man dies in Rogue One, and it's this perfect moment where he 'should' become one with the force, proving his statement throughout the movie, but he can't because he never learned the force powerz. Ugh.

Anyway, so baby Yoda has force powers, because of course he does! But when you do this, you ruin actual Yoda. Yoda was just a little green dude who through his ability to use the force was super powerful. It was this whole lesson about 'size matters not' remember? Thing is, if it turns out he was just a member of a race of force sensitive Gremlins, it all falls apart.

The alternative is that this simplistic peaceful Monk Yoda has sired some bastards out there, or that this is his nephew or whatever. Again, horrible. Yoda is an ancient dude without family or people or origin. Leave him that way.

2. On this subject, I just always assumed Yoda was 900 because being in tune with the force so heavily allowed him to live a long life. Also, for 800 of those years he was training Jedi right? So at 50 he is a baby, and by 100 he is a Jedi Master? The math is so screwed up.

3. The Mandalorian lore is super cool. However, I feel like it's not compatible with some of the Mandalorian episodes of the Clone Wars. I can't honestly remember, it's been a while and I never watched them all. But Obi Wan was totally hooking up with their hot queen who definitely wasn't wearing a steel helmet to bed. I thought clone wars was still canon?

4. There is still this propensity to try to recreate iconic scenes instead of making new ones. The battle at the end of ep3? Very good. All the cantina scenes that are supposed to look like New Hope? Meh, I can do without.

5. The alien rat watching his friend getting roasted is going to keep me up at night for a week.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king

[This message has been edited by Mr Wednesday (edited 11-28-2019 @ 02:19 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
(id: Moff Yittreas)
posted 11-28-19 06:01 PM CT (US)     1 / 7       
All I know is this show has Baby Yoda and sparked a resurgence in Mandalorian Ugandan Knuckles.

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
John the Late
Knight
posted 11-29-19 10:01 PM CT (US)     2 / 7       
I read that spoilers are following, so I didn't read anything below. All I want to say is that I'm really looking forward to binge watching the show in one go once all episodes are released.
HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 12-22-19 01:40 PM CT (US)     3 / 7       
I'm through all the episodes that are out so far. I like the darker, Western-esque storyline and the story arc of the main character has been solid. A couple of the middle episodes were a little weak, and didn't add much to the plot, but the seventh episode brought things back into form. As a whole, the show has done a decent job or recapturing the mysterious nature that was characteristic of the original films and, to a lesser degree, the newest trilogy.

I can't speak to what is and isn't canon. I've seen Episodes I-IX, plus Rogue One and Solo, but haven't seen any of the other shows or read any of the fan fiction.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
Popeychops
"Cool" Huskarl
posted 12-22-19 05:56 PM CT (US)     4 / 7       
@Matt: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Yaddle

Yoda was ruined in episode one

Member of BlackForest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
and The Seas of Egressa (4.8) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile
Mr Wednesday
Cavalier
(id: matty12345)
posted 12-28-19 03:41 PM CT (US)     5 / 7       
Ugh. Yaddle.

At this point I'd like to see Lucas come back to star wars actually. The prequels at least were inventive. I got nothing new out of an entire Disney trilogy. Mostly because Rise of Skywalker was such a disaster, I'm looking back on the prequels fondly these days.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
rewaider
Squire
posted 12-30-19 07:31 PM CT (US)     6 / 7       
Tbh this (ep9) was nowhere near to be a surprise after the mess that was Last Jedi (in my point of view, at least).
Last Jedi managed to be both unpredictable and boring at the same time... With tons of "hah, bet you weren't expecting that" moments just for the sake of it. Not to mention the completely unnecessary (plotwise) section with Finn and Rose fightning against the evil capitalist planet (written by Disney)...
Meh, I guess I'm talking too much about ep 8.
But anyway, basically JJ tried to undo Ryan undoing all his previous buildup for last jedi (aka throwing all the ep 7's plotlines to the window) and it ended up being even worse than just going with Ryan's ideas somehow.
Nice job handling one of the most iconic, famous and profitable franchises ever, multibillionaire company with dozens of year of experience in the industry.
Only good movie to come out of it was Rogue one. Change my mind.
ep 7 was kinda good I guess, but basically a remake of ep 4 with some sprinkles thrown on it... with serious char development issues *cough* Rey
The prequels at least were inventive. I got nothing new out of an entire Disney trilogy. Mostly because Rise of Skywalker was such a disaster, I'm looking back on the prequels fondly these days.
Yeah. I mean, at least there was *some* love put into the prequels. At least they had a soul

Saddly didn't get to see Mandalorian cuz Disney+ didn't launch in my country yet

The Fall of Hummaria -- Teaser [4.2] -- Project's Thread
Cavern Pirates -- The Treasure Hunt [4.6] -- Captain's Revenge
My Blacksmith

[This message has been edited by rewaider (edited 12-31-2019 @ 11:41 AM).]

Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
(id: Moff Yittreas)
posted 03-27-20 03:05 PM CT (US)     7 / 7       
So, I finally saw the first few episodes.

It's... decent? Sadly, that's exceeding praise for SW these days. I liked it. But just liked.

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames