Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.48 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Town's Crier » The Literature Thread II
Bottom
Topic Subject:The Literature Thread II
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Lord Basse
MI6 Scenario-Making Machine
posted 12-12-19 03:23 PM CT (US)         
Behold, the long-awaited sequel to the 2013 original!

Books! Discuss.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 95,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
AuthorReplies:
Lord Basse
posted 01-06-20 06:22 PM CT (US)     26 / 48       
Just started reading The Lord of the Rings the other day. I've only gotten a couple chapters in so far, but I have to say that its reputation as being a heavy read seems to have been greatly exaggerated. Sure, the first couple chapters are mostly info dumps, but they're highly readable info dumps.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 95,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
Kongou Dess
Moff
(id: Moff Yittreas)
posted 01-06-20 07:27 PM CT (US)     27 / 48       
Honorverse gives best infodumps.

I WILL FITE U

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
Hi, I'm Kongou! Are you my admiral?
Mithril Knight
Squire
posted 01-07-20 00:13 AM CT (US)     28 / 48       
I couldn't deal with LoTR's prose and the worldbuilding dumps. I barely made it halfway through the first book before having to put it down indefinitely. Maybe it was that I don't enjoy that particular way in which the story is told (I know Tolkien was shooting for a particular style inspired by Germanic mythology), or maybe I'm just a pleb that can't handle literature infodumps.

I did find Tolkien's dumps pretty manageable in The Hobbit but that's probably because it was intended as an easier read anyway.

Tbh, I haven't read books lately. I have what would be a pile of 5-6 of them that are just sitting there in my bedroom and most of them I haven't even touched since I got them. My reading time was been swallowed by manga. >_> help pls

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms

[This message has been edited by Mithril Knight (edited 01-07-2020 @ 00:15 AM).]

Major Helper
AoKH Survivor, Mr. White Teeth
posted 01-07-20 07:10 AM CT (US)     29 / 48       
LotR's storytelling is WAY easier to handle than, say, Silmarillion's. Now THERE'S some info dumps for you

_,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,__,.-'~'-.,_
You, you... Finnish Barstool! - Enraged Popeychops
Major Helper: Helping AoE3H Housewives since 2008 - As_Saffah
I spent 3 months trying to convince a door that I was an intelligent life form and gave up. - TLM
Winner of "Nicest" (2012-2016), "Most Helpful" (2014) and "Best Moderator" (2015-2016) Forummer Awards
-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-
Lord Basse
posted 01-07-20 12:21 PM CT (US)     30 / 48       
I've quited enjoyed it so far, info dumps and all.

A big part of it is just how interesting it is to see what was changed between the books and the movies. It's a whole lot more than I had thought, but so far all the changes make sense. It's really interesting to see how they trimmed down some of the songs for the films, changed a word here and there, and just in general compressed the timeline to add more tension to the opening act.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
Lord Basse
posted 01-11-20 04:39 AM CT (US)     31 / 48       
So I just got past the part with Tom Bombadil. I get why they cut him from the films.

It's interesting to see how Tolkien seems to gradually ease his readers into the epic adventure, by making the first 10 or so chapters a more The Hobbit-esque jolly adventure with characters like these. It never really occured to me before that he would be worried that readers might not like this sequel that took a more serious turn than the original fairytale, but it makes sense.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
Major Helper
posted 01-11-20 06:34 AM CT (US)     32 / 48       
I both hate and love the Tom Bombadil part, it's so nice yet so glaringly different from everything else in the book I do agree it's very Hobbit-esque with the songs and such.

I spent 3 months trying to convince a door that I was an intelligent life form and gave up. - TLM
Winner of "Nicest" (2012-2016), "Most Helpful" (2014) and "Best Moderator" (2015-2016) Forummer Awards
-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-=x=-
Lord Basse
posted 01-22-20 04:12 AM CT (US)     33 / 48       
Reading LotR and The Wheel of Time in parallell, I have to say I much prefer the former, despite WoT ostensibly being the easer read.

I'm a little over halfway through The Eye of the World, and I can safely say that I am not going to finish all of the fourteen books. There are hints of something quite interesting in the concept, but most of the action with the ordinary characters is just not very engaging. I wish the author would just have cut out half of the text, all of those more or less insignificant events, and kept the pace higher. I don't know. If they do delve more into the high concept stuff, maybe I'll regain my interest.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
Major Helper
posted 01-22-20 09:32 AM CT (US)     34 / 48       
I'd say read the first three books at least, those're my favourite Unless you're properly hooked at that point, it's probably not worth it going any further.

Lord Basse
posted 01-22-20 10:19 AM CT (US)     35 / 48       
Yeah, we'll see. At this point I'm not sure I'll even start the second book. But I still have a lot left to read of the first one, so there's hope still. And it's not like it's bad, there are things I quite enjoy in there. I just don't enjoy it enough to want 13 more books of it (yet) .

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
Lord Basse
posted 01-23-20 11:06 AM CT (US)     36 / 48       
Seeing as I don't want this to just turn into my reading blog...

What are some of your favourite books, and why?

Some of mine would be:

"The City and the Stars", by Arthur C. Clarke. Probably my favourite sci-fi novel.

"Journey to the Center of the Earth", by Jules Verne. Probably my favourite Verne novel, one I have read at least three times, maybe more.

"Dinotopia". I read this one like 10 times when I was 9-10 or something, borrowed it from the library over and over again, and the fantastical world has always stuck with me. I now own a copy of my own, and it's still an absolutely gorgeous book.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
Major Helper
posted 01-23-20 04:08 PM CT (US)     37 / 48       
Speaking of childhood favourites, The Famous Five is a book series I remember fondly. In fact, all 21 books are currently in a package on the floor of my apartment, waiting for me to move them to storage. Parents did some arranging at their place and gave/threw away a fair bit of books, including most of my childhood ones, but I had to salvage TFF. I'd partly attribute them to having sparked my love towards reading. Can't help loving those descriptions of what they ate for breakfast/on picnics/wherever

Lord Basse
posted 01-24-20 05:19 AM CT (US)     38 / 48       
I think I read one of those, but I'm not entirely sure, it's been too long. I do know I read one or more of the Hardy Boys books, though which I believe are somewhat similar.

My favourite such adventure novel would be "The Fawcett Mystery" by Henri Vernes, about the lost city of Z in South America. Pretty sure that one has influenced like half of my AoE2 campaigns.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 01-24-2020 @ 05:29 AM).]

Lord Basse
posted 02-11-20 06:01 PM CT (US)     39 / 48       
Since last time, I have finished both The Fellowship of the Ring and The Eye of the World. I still quite prefer LotR, but WoT did grow on me for those last few hundred pages... although to be honest that was mostly because I started skimming all of the overlong descriptions and such, basically anything that wasn't dialogue or moved the story forward. It got a lot better when I started doing that, which just strengthens my initial judgment, that close to half of the text could have been cut out without any major loss. I will probably be reading the second book, but I'm in no rush.

Since then I've also finished 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Pastel City. 2001 was an interesting read, although it's quite low on my list of Clarke's novels. It's basically a written version of the movie, with a lot more telling than showing, but still managing to retain some of the mystique that made the film so great. Most scenes I find worked better in the film, but I really enjoyed the way the book ending differed from the movie.

For the The Pastel City I had no idea at all what to expect. What I got was an early dark fantasy; Mad Max meets King Arthur, in a way. An epic that covers little more than 100 pages and still rarely feels like it lacks any of the scope or characterization of much more long-winded stories. Robert Jordan should have taken note.

At the moment I am reading another Clifford Simak novel, The Visitors, as well as a non-fiction book called On Grand Strategy by John Lewis Gaddis. My goal of reading 20 books this year is suddenly starting to look like a low bar.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 02-11-2020 @ 06:05 PM).]

Major Helper
posted 02-12-20 12:28 PM CT (US)     40 / 48       
I'm currently in the process of adding more Asian web novels onto my ever-growing collection of "web novels that I read" -list

My reading cycle goes:
Japanese web novels (got a lot of these, but the translators update slowly)
Chinese/Korean web novels (got just a couple dozen of these, but about 8 of them update almost daily, so I like to get a good backlog (100-300 chapters) of chapters and then binge-read them)
Japanese web novels again
and then finding new ones to add onto my lists to let the translators get some new chapters in.

Keeps me nice and busy reading-wise while (maybe?) keeping my brain active, trying to remember/recall dozens upon dozens of different plot lines simultaneously

Lord Basse
posted 02-12-20 04:06 PM CT (US)     41 / 48       
What exactly is a web novel? Is it what it sounds like, a serialized novel published only online, or is there more to it?

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
Major Helper
posted 02-13-20 12:52 PM CT (US)     42 / 48       
To be honest, I'm not quite sure about the exact definition. The way I see it, it's a way for authors to gain recognition and potential book deals by showing publishers their storytelling is getting them clicks and good reviews. The main point for me is that they (or the ones that I read at least) are free and of good/passable quality There are both amateur and professional writers writing web novels, so the novels can be a little hit or miss. The lengths of the novels also vary wildly, the Japanese ones typically reaching the three digit levels, while the Chinese ones easily surpass the four digit levels. The uneven quality holds even more true with the translators The translations are often unofficial or even unsanctioned, generally donation/Patreon based. Sometimes it's just someone practicing their Japanese, sharing the love for free or getting whatever little income they can get from ads in their machine translated and slightly edited scribbles, sometimes it's a huge group effort with multiple translators, editors etc.

It's an interesting reading world out there in the interwebs

ax_man1
Squire
posted 03-24-20 00:29 AM CT (US)     43 / 48       
Read The Ocean at the End of the Lane on Saturday. Currently reading several books at once. Among them:

-Directorate S (history of the CIA's role and involvement in Afghanistan)
-The War on Science (how power and big money try to distort science for control or profit)
-The 48 Laws of Power (distillation of the facets of power, told through historical, mythical, and folktale examples)
-The Way of Kings (haven't actually started yet, but it's thicker than a ASoIaF book)
-Fire and Blood (a history of the Targaryen dynasty)

ax_man1

Owner of a post 500, 1000, 1500, 2000, and 2500
Not all are in the same thread, but 4 of them are
Lord Basse
posted 03-28-20 12:31 PM CT (US)     44 / 48       
It's been years since I read The Ocean at the End of the Lane, but I remember enjoying it quite a lot! I liked it better than some of Gaiman's more famous works like American Gods, but Stardust remains my favourite.

For my part, I basically read nothing for about a month, then I went back and finished The Left Hand of Darkness, which I quite enjoyed. I'm not really as impressed by Ursula K. Le Guin so far as some people seem to be: I like her writing style and the worlds she builds, but so far I've found the stories themselves to be a bit... boring. I appreciate her writing, more than enjoy it, if that makes sense. But I've also just read two books so far, so that judgment could change.

I'm also 1 chapter into The Two Towers.

On a related note, yesterday I finished the manuscript for my first proper novel after about seven months of work. 44 chapters, 440 pages and about 185,000 words. I still have months of editing and polishing to do, but I am still very happy with accomplishing this!

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 03-28-2020 @ 12:34 PM).]

Major Helper
posted 03-28-20 02:03 PM CT (US)     45 / 48       
Great job, keep on working towards your goals!

Lord Basse
posted 05-10-20 02:49 PM CT (US)     46 / 48       
So, what have you guys been reading lately?

For my part I have recently finished five books, three fiction and two non-fiction:

• The Two Towers
  • The Return of the King
  • A Storm of Wings (Viriconium #2)
  • On Grand Strategy, by John Lewis Gaddis
  • The Hero With a Thousand Faces

The last one is a book I started reading almost ten years ago, and which I have been trying to finish for just about as long. The core premise is fascinating and there is a ton to learn about myths from all around the world; it is jam-packed with stories. But I did find it hard to get through all of it, which was compounded greatly by my leaving it on a bookshelf for years before picking it up again.

So far, then, I have read 13 books this year, making my goal of finishing 20 in 2020 quite feasible.

The next one I'm going to have a go at is The House of the Borderlands, a cosmic horror novel from 1908 which apparently inspired the writing of H.P. Lovecraft.

__[]_________
    |||||||||||||||||

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 05-10-2020 @ 02:51 PM).]

• Major Helper
    posted 05-10-20 11:27 PM CT (US)     47 / 48       
    Currently in the Japanese web novel phase of my web novel reading loop

HockeySam18
    Dúnadan
    posted 05-11-20 01:49 AM CT (US)     48 / 48       
    I've powered through a mountain of academic literature for research work over the past several months, but over the summer I hope to get into something somewhat more of the narrative sort

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
    « Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames