You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussion
Moderated by John the Late

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.6 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussion » Why? RE AOEIIDE
Bottom
Topic Subject:Why? RE AOEIIDE
ephestion
Squire
posted 11-18-19 10:41 PM CT (US)         
Why do the Byzantines speak Latin in the game?
Why are the churches looking like Mormon pyramids instead of a basilica?
Why are the monks NOT dressed in black or dark brown?

Why?

"To love Christ -means not to be a hireling, not to look upon a noble life as an enterprise or trade, but to be a true benefactor and to do everything only for the sake of love for God." —St John Chrysostom
"When one returns to the Greek; it is like going into a garden of lilies out of some, narrow and dark house." -Oscar Wilde
"I don't think I'm smarter than you because you believe in God. I think I'm smarter than you because you're absolutely nuts. -Stormraider responding to me."
AuthorReplies:
Pitt_Man
Squire
(id: Dark_Reign)
posted 11-19-19 04:49 AM CT (US)     1 / 6       
Because Byzantines were just as Roman as they were Greek.
Because it's based off the type of church you can find in Agia Triada.
Because it has the same Christian monk the rest of the European civs have.

  _ » Downloads_. . . .________             
                   _ » The Continuous Screenshot Competition_. . . .________         
ephestion
Squire
posted 11-19-19 08:07 PM CT (US)     2 / 6       
Edit** Just as much Roman as Greek? The lingua franca of the Roman Empire was always Greek.

Agia Triada was partly converted to a basilica.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/25/Agia_Triada_Monastery,_Crete_01.jpg

The Orthodox/Catholic monks wore something like this:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8c/Kovelklein.JPG

"To love Christ -means not to be a hireling, not to look upon a noble life as an enterprise or trade, but to be a true benefactor and to do everything only for the sake of love for God." —St John Chrysostom
"When one returns to the Greek; it is like going into a garden of lilies out of some, narrow and dark house." -Oscar Wilde
"I don't think I'm smarter than you because you believe in God. I think I'm smarter than you because you're absolutely nuts. -Stormraider responding to me."

[This message has been edited by ephestion (edited 11-19-2019 @ 08:08 PM).]

Kataphraktoi
Squire
posted 11-23-19 11:16 AM CT (US)     3 / 6       
Because budgets.

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel
Mazeppa
Squire
posted 12-12-19 01:49 PM CT (US)     4 / 6       
Because Byzantines were just as Roman as they were Greek.
Because it's based off the type of church you can find in Agia Triada.
Because it has the same Christian monk the rest of the European civs have.
Not true.

The byzantines were basically, roughly half of the roman empire before, but after the latter dissolved, they were really greek; their official language was greek; even their bible was in greek.

And their priests/monks were different from other european civs, as their religion was greek orthodox, and had different attire to other christian religions.
Why do the Byzantines speak Latin in the game?
Why are the churches looking like Mormon pyramids instead of a basilica?
Why are the monks NOT dressed in black or dark brown?
I guess the answer is really just lack of research, I guess.
AoEH_Algernon
Banned
posted 03-02-20 02:52 PM CT (US)     5 / 6       
You played the 1st Warcraft ??? same game AOE with Orcs ???
Ziggurat Mason
Knight
posted 03-04-20 10:44 AM CT (US)     6 / 6       
Byzantines (ie Greeks who spoke Greek in real history, with even the upper echelons completely abandoning latin already in the 6th century) in AoE2 speak Latin for the same reason Mamelukes ride camels into battle and then throw scimitars at people. There's absolutely no justification, the game just isn't that historically accurate.

Depending on aoe4's overall quality and modding potential, it would be great to make a mod to make it historically accurate. It would be great to have Byzantines who speak Greek, spearmen and pikemen being different unit-lines, archers and crossbowmen being different unit-lines, European knights who actually use lance charges, and so on and so on.

[This message has been edited by Ziggurat Mason (edited 03-04-2020 @ 10:48 AM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames