You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.1654 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » The Designer's Tavern IV - Ask questions and discuss scenario design!
Bottom
Topic Subject:The Designer's Tavern IV - Ask questions and discuss scenario design!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 46 47 48  Next Page »
HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 07-04-15 04:56 PM CT (US)         

Welcome to the Designer's Tavern! After switching owners twice before and undergoing some time-consuming renovations, the tavern is now in our capable hands. Who are we? That's a good question! We are HockeySam18 and Mr Wednesday, your benevolent oligarchs hosts! Established by SonicShadow in 2005, taken over by Matt LiVecchi in 2009, and passed on to Lord Basse in 2010, the tavern is a place for the SD&M community to sit down, relax and have a sip of an imaginary pint of ale. This is the place for general discussion on scenario design; talk about whatever you want as long as it's related to scenario design, downloads in the Blacksmith, and the like. If you want to say something totally unrelated to scenario design, the Town's Crier is a fine place to go to instead.

Seminars_on_Designing_and_Trigger Tricks

Have a new discovery you want to share with the world? A design trick, a good way to design a fortress, or a trigger system? Perhaps you feel the need to address what you think is a problem with designing? Contact us via email or post a reply with the article! It doesn't have to be something brand new, but it shouldn't be something of common knowledge either, like "A Guide on Painting Water on your Map" (though that can propagate some interesting discussion in of itself)! Write a paragraph or three, add a screenshot and send it off, and we'll make sure it gets up here.

Past seminars:

Designing a realistic forest, by HockeySam18

Current seminar:

Utilizing off-grid placement to its full potential, by Mr Wednesday

Off grid placement is the most powerful tool to come along since Data editing. I opened AoKTS three times when doing my PTC entry, compared to hundreds or thousands of times when doing The Quiet Dawn. While all the effects I used in Smile No More (and that screenshot) were technically possible before, the simple truth is no one would ever have done them. When covering the Asian monastery to get only the statue, I could select trees that had the exact shape as the outline of the statue (or close enough) and essentially just paint over the stuff I didn't want. To do that once with AoKTS would have taken probably a couple days. I did it in dozens of spots.

Designers haven't really picked up on the full power of this yet I don't think. AoK has always had a very limited set of graphics, and we use the closest approximation to represent everything we don't have.

Except now, people need to start thinking of all the graphics as just 2D images. If any part of a graphic can represent what you want, or any combination of parts, you can make it happen. In that screenshot, the obvious choice for a treehouse is the Outpost. The sea tower is the next thing you logically think of. But the best looking part might be the Archery range, which is a perfect example of using one quarter of a graphic or less, and essentially making the rest disappear.

The only thing that matters anymore is the front image essentially, which consists of whatever parts are showing from all the images.

I'd caution that 99% of this is depth perception, so watch the shadows, where the bases hit the terrain, etc. Make sure there isn't anything showing that breaks the illusions you are creating.

Playtesters and Other Requests:

Feel free to ask here, I will add your request to the topic post if it doesn't get fulfilled quickly. Go ahead and link your project thread as well if you like!

Help with AI Scripting for Custom Scenarios

For anyone struggling with AI scripting, this tool by Jan dc allows you to generate a competent AI tailored specifically to the needs of your custom scenario.

Current Projects and Screenshots:

We'd love to see screenshots and hear teasers from your current projects or whatever you've felt like working on. Feel free to post them and we'll start up a list below!

- Storm on the Steppe - by HockeySam18

- The Battle of Senc Tor - by Aristeides

- Wrath of the Traibs - by Possidon

- Aethelflaed Modification and Campaign - by Mash

- Paradise Lost Remastered - by Devastator

- Pirate's Treasure - by PresterJohn

- Barbarossa - the campaign - by Paul_TD

Tavern Staff:
Owners - HockeySam18 and Mr Wednesday
Patron and Resident Viking - Leif Ericson
President of the Board - Dead_End
Board Members - Popeychops and John the Late
Chef - Major Helper

"Hot" Barmaids:
Prester John
Miathemother

Menu:
Steak and ale pie
Rack of lamb
Grilled venison
Roasted iron boar
Spam
Vegetable medley

Drinks:
Glass of wine
Pint of ale
Bucket of ale
Tub of mead
Cider
Tea
Coffee
Guarana

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.

[This message has been edited by HockeySam18 (edited 07-27-2017 @ 08:49 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Lord Basse
MI6 Scenario-Making Machine
posted 05-19-20 05:20 PM CT (US)     1646 / 1654       
I'm good, no corona yet as far as I'm aware. Still designing, whenever my increasingly limited time permits.

Just a warning, the HD editor is probably the most annoying iteration out there. I still prefer the CD one with UserPatch, although the one in Definitive Edition has a lot of nifty features... like a copy button for triggers.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 95,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 05-19-2020 @ 05:24 PM).]

Nowhere
Squire
(id: NowhereT)
posted 05-20-20 01:48 AM CT (US)     1647 / 1654       
Oh it's annoying that there is a different version on Steam, having bought the HD edition with all the DLC!

Does the Definitive Edition add anything content-wise? I can't see myself investing any significant time in making scenarios so it's probably not worth it unless there's something really cool in there.

Forummer of the Year, All in All Winner, Nicest Forummer, The Sebastien-Barbarossa Medal (FotY-2011)
Most Missed Forummer (FotY-2012)
Sebastien
Dark Samurai
posted 05-20-20 03:09 AM CT (US)     1648 / 1654       
There are are few new eye candy objects like Tori Gates and some archer targets and other things, though nothing crazy.

You'll get the added terrain blending and beach placements with DE (giving you different beaches to choose from; or none at all).
Oh it's annoying that there is a different version on Steam, having bought the HD edition with all the DLC!
Bwaaha. Did you just buy HD? Refund it and get DE.

[This message has been edited by Sebastien (edited 05-20-2020 @ 03:10 AM).]

Nowhere
Squire
posted 05-20-20 05:00 AM CT (US)     1649 / 1654       
You can refund games?!

I think I bought HD ages ago when it first came out, but then yesterday I bought a couple of DLC packs.

Forummer of the Year, All in All Winner, Nicest Forummer, The Sebastien-Barbarossa Medal (FotY-2011)
Lord Basse
MI6 Scenario-Making Machine
posted 05-20-20 05:05 AM CT (US)     1650 / 1654       
DE brings all new 4k graphics, 4 additional civs and adds most of the UserPatch triggers and effects to the editor. In many regards it's a great update. The editor still has a ton of unresolved problems, though, like ridiculous lag when designing big maps, and so far I haven't seen any indication that they are prioritising fixing these. So it's a mixed bag. Great for multiplayer, though!

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 95,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
Nowhere
Squire
posted 05-20-20 08:05 AM CT (US)     1651 / 1654       
designing big maps
That won't be an issue for me!

Steam denied my refund for the AOK:HD DLC because I'd played over two hours, but I went ahead with the Definitive Edition anyway - looking forward to playing that this evening!

Sebastien
Dark Samurai
posted 05-21-20 02:06 AM CT (US)     1652 / 1654       
Possidon
Slayer
posted 05-21-20 05:55 AM CT (US)     1653 / 1654       
Nowhere
Squire
posted 05-21-20 06:47 AM CT (US)     1654 / 1654       
Thanks, both! Sadly being a grown up now means I doubt I can hang around as much as I used to

« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 46 47 48  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames