You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.886 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » The Playthrough Thread
Bottom
Topic Subject:The Playthrough Thread
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 23 24 25 26  Next Page »
Leif Ericson
Seraph Emeritus
posted 03-10-17 01:07 PM CT (US)         
I've been getting back into playing through scenarios, and I thought it'd be a cool idea to have a place where we share the scenarios that we play in our spare time. It should be a good way to show different designers some hidden gems out there that could inspire some new ideas. Feel free to just mention which games your playing, give a summary or recommendation, crosspost your reviews from the Blacksmith, or even any scenarios you want people to playtest for you. It should be fun.

~`o´~|\  Join the fresh and exciting AI Ladder for its fourth season!
´ `  |_\
       |    Learn the joy of AI scripting in my guide: The World of AI Scripting
______|______
 \        /
   .....Hinga Dinga Durgen! - SpongeBob
  `-=<.__.>=-´
AuthorReplies:
Tarsiz
Squire
posted 09-25-19 06:27 AM CT (US)     841 / 886       
@Kataphraktoi
I read your whole feedback message. If I'm not mistaken you play multiplayer at a decent level on Voobly (I think we played a couple of times?) and I find your take on campaigns quite interesting as I have the exact opposite opinion on many scenarios (while also dedicating most of my playtime to multiplayer).

I can't stand scenarios that are a massive "late game" grind, especially those which rely on artificial ways of increasing the difficulty at the expense of fun: constricting the player to Castle Age (bonus points if you face fully upgraded Imperial Age AIs like in the dreadful Magyar scenario of the Forgotten), giving infinite ressources to the enemy, littering the opponent's base with a ton of towers, etc.

Build & Destroy type of scenarios are usually interesting at the start when things are getting into place, and then become really easy as the AI can't match the player's boom. I like those that find a way of amplifying the difficulty at that point, Into China is probably the best example that comes to mind when played for the first time and finding out Yellow is building a wonder...

For this kind of stuff, I can play multiplayer games. When playing scenarios I'm expecting different things and that's why missions like the Burmese and Portuguese campaigns were my favorites of the new campaigns. A lot of interesting and original gameplay.

I think designers in general would probably profit from playing more multiplayer and getting a sense of how the game is supposed to be played (competitively). Although I doubt it would be feasible to completely get rid of the "difficulty curve problem" of B&D scenarios they would come up with clever ways of keeping the players on their toes at all stages of the mission.
Kataphraktoi
Squire
posted 09-25-19 02:56 PM CT (US)     842 / 886       
@Kataphraktoi
I read your whole feedback message. If I'm not mistaken you play multiplayer at a decent level on Voobly (I think we played a couple of times?) and I find your take on campaigns quite interesting as I have the exact opposite opinion on many scenarios (while also dedicating most of my playtime to multiplayer).
Historically and around 2013 I tend to be a 1600 voobly player. So baseline competent but too slow and too weak to do much. I keep hearing a 1600 voobly player from back then is worth a 1300 voobly player today so I am not sure.

I used to spend the majority of my time in multiplayer too. Unfortunately where I live only satelite internet is available and this has a built-in ping of 700 minimum. Therefore I have ceased multiplayer completely.
For this kind of stuff, I can play multiplayer games. When playing scenarios I'm expecting different things and that's why missions like the Burmese and Portuguese campaigns were my favorites of the new campaigns. A lot of interesting and original gameplay.
Fair enough, its a solid reason to like those campaigns. They did do things a bit differently and the portuguese campaign in particular has a much different scale and intention to it. I do feel like almost everything in there has been done as well or much better in other RTS campaigns if not blacksmith campaigns\scenarios. These types of scenarios would go over much better with me if the map design was top tier level too;especially low pop atmospheric type scenarios. I feel like the mapping was either weak or borderline acceptable in all the scenarios with only a few being somewhat nice.
I can't stand scenarios that are a massive "late game" grind, especially those which rely on artificial ways of increasing the difficulty at the expense of fun......giving infinite ressources to the enemy, littering the opponent's base with a ton of towers, etc.....Build & Destroy type of scenarios are usually interesting at the start when things are getting into place, and then become really easy as the AI can't match the player's boom.
The lategame fall-off is a chronic problem that plagues B&D:my own Nicaea on the smithy even suffers from this problem despite my trying to head it off. And that same scenario does give the AI infinite resources which indeed can be obnoxious;bleeding the enemy out was always a patient strategy I favored employing when I first started playing. I fully agree on the bases full of towers problem, I cannot stand attacking into those types of bases.

I think the main cause of these problems is relying on crutches such as infinite resources instead of proper and well rounded methods. When I made Nicaea I was just figuring out the very basics of AI and I didnt want to have to invest so much time making a real AI that played as if it was a skirmish. The AI even in good B&D tends to be a facade that pretends to be an opponent but is just a mechanical dummy underneath. Unfortunately its 10x faster to deploy this facade AI so I tend to do something similar myself.
I think designers in general would probably profit from playing more multiplayer and getting a sense of how the game is supposed to be played (competitively). Although I doubt it would be feasible to completely get rid of the "difficulty curve problem" of B&D scenarios they would come up with clever ways of keeping the players on their toes at all stages of the mission.
Yeah, I agree completely. I think a lot of designers around here would benefit from playing a couple hundred arabia 1v1. Hockeysam is an exception but most commentators on this forum are freshly grown blueberries. One of the best designers around even lost a game to a wolf;typical AoKH userbase problem.

Anyway Its good to share an alternative viewpoint. I certainly dont want to be the only voice but still I think my perspective needed to be shared too. Ultimately the write up was mostly for catharsis so I can move on and review the AoK DE campaigns when it comes out.

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel
Filthydelphia
Squire
(id: Al_Kharn the Great)
posted 09-25-19 08:45 PM CT (US)     843 / 886       
When playing scenarios I'm expecting different things and that's why missions like the Burmese and Portuguese campaigns were my favorites of the new campaigns. A lot of interesting and original gameplay.
Thanks!

HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 09-26-19 01:26 AM CT (US)     844 / 886       
One of the best designers around even lost a game to a wolf;typical AoKH userbase problem.
To be fair to Mash and provide some context, this occurred in Imperial after I had demolished his base on Black Forest. He ran his last surviving villager into a corner, meaning to wall himself in, but unluckily encountered a pair of wolves. He's actually one of the stronger players among the scenario design community here at AoKH.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
rewaider
Squire
posted 09-26-19 12:50 PM CT (US)     845 / 886       
Yeah, I agree completely. I think a lot of designers around here would benefit from playing a couple hundred arabia 1v1.
Indeed. That's exactly the reason why I tend to just either skip or not even play most of the blacksmith's B&D scenarios... With the only exception being the ones that actually (or at least) try to shake the game's core loop by introducing ground breaking mechanics, try to "modernize" the (IMO) outdated micromanaging mess of AOK's B&D and such.
Examples on the top of my head are: Rockspring Revolution/RoA, Nyctophobia, Wind of the North, Tamerlane (for its time, of course), the GoT MP map by LoCoDoN (yes, it's a multiplayer map, but still qualify at the whole "shaking the game mechanics significantly enough to make it not boring" part).

Not to mention that it's kinda futile to try to compete against the Multiplayer's B&D format... Because it's always gonna be superior to your scenario if you don't use the editor's unique features enough to make it stand out. No AI is gonna be more interesting/surprising than a human; No bot enemy is gonna be more diverse than the 20-something civ pool and team bonuses/compositions of a MP game. I'd much rather use the scenario editor for its own thing, instead of trying to emulate the much superior experience that's already much more fleshed out than yours.

The Fall of Hummaria -- Teaser [4.2] -- Project's Thread
Cavern Pirates -- The Treasure Hunt [4.6] -- Captain's Revenge
My Blacksmith

[This message has been edited by rewaider (edited 09-26-2019 @ 12:52 PM).]

Kataphraktoi
Squire
posted 11-01-19 04:45 PM CT (US)     846 / 886       
Not to mention that it's kinda futile to try to compete against the Multiplayer's B&D format... Because it's always gonna be superior to your scenario if you don't use the editor's unique features enough to make it stand out. No AI is gonna be more interesting/surprising than a human; No bot enemy is gonna be more diverse than the 20-something civ pool and team bonuses/compositions of a MP game. I'd much rather use the scenario editor for its own thing, instead of trying to emulate the much superior experience that's already much more fleshed out than yours.
That is certainly true, but I also think the multiplayer format delivers a difference gameplay experience that is not exactly what I am seeking nowadays. What I would like to see is a game where you control the map and have cities, villages, and castles to build, control or influence. Comepetitive multiplayer demonstrates that ES's vision for the game doesnt play out in reality;the entire map becomes a metropolis and I dont think anyone was anticipating crossbow vs mangonel duels back in 98' when designing this. Actually if you play in 500ping or above the gameplay changes quite a bit as modern micro tactics stop working since the units are too lethargic to be handled like they are now. This showed up in the old viper vs Tim matches quite a bit where the gameplay between them devolved quite a bit due to the latency issues.

I think what I really want is an age of empires game that mixes AoE, Civ, Total War, Stronghold, and Europa Universalis\Imperator:Rome into one game. The RISK maps are a tiny bit like that with a big focus on territorial control, but adding dynasty and religion is something you cannot do with the AoE engine.

Thinking back on my dissatisfaction with the DE campaigns, I think in order to break through the burnt out and jaded perspective I have, a scenario needs to deliver a truly outstanding performance to begin registering as fun, so its very tough for any scenario to do that in the first place. That is why I was so enthused over the PTC17 contest winners too, as its very rare for gaming content to be so good I can forget everything and just enjoy the experience.
Tamerlane (for its time, of course)
Yes, I love tamerlane back then and dont enjoy it so much now. Thats because my skills have improved along with the communities over the decades to the point most old difficulty-based gameplay is trivialized, especially if its macro based gameplay with a economic build up. Such a campaign becomes boring when it loses it toughness, which damages its fun factor and balance and makes it hard to see in a strongly-positive light anymore.

Well, Ive been on haitus from AoK for a month or two to try out some new stuff while waiting for AoK DE. Bit off topic, but Kingdom Come Deliverance is a pretty good skyrim-level RPG and its fairly well patched up since its disastrous launch. Would recommend it for anyone interested.

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel

[This message has been edited by Kataphraktoi (edited 11-01-2019 @ 04:46 PM).]

Tarsiz
Squire
posted 11-15-19 06:11 AM CT (US)     847 / 886       
I jumped on the DE bandwagon and tried out the new campaigns (saw a bit of T90 and Viper playing some of the other ones but I tried not to spoil myself).

The Cuman campaign is definitely a welcome challenge. I only went through the first two missions and the theme seems to be "running away from the invincible Mongol armies". The gameplay is quite punishing and really emphasized that idea that you are on a timer and need to run, at least in the first 3 scenarios.

I passed the first one on the first try, the second one took me three tries and I've yet to succeed in the third mission, that I only tried once so far (playing on Hard obviously).

Their unique unit, the Kipchak, is insanely OP to a point where the release version of the Arambai feels like a balanced unit and the AOC Elite Mangudai a second tier unit.
They are a ton of fun to micro and, at least on Hard, the Cuman campaign seems to be relying a lot on the player microing them to win fights without losing units.

There are two extra campaigns, a Tamerlane campaign for the Tatars (I've only seen T90 play it on stream and it definitely gives me vibes from Mark Stoker's awesome work) and a Bulgar campaign centered about a character called Ivaylo. No campaign for the Lithuanians, sadly, as they seem to be the civ that speaks the most to my playstyle (their cavalry get +1 attack per relic in your possession, capped at +5, and they get full upgrades on top of that, meaning you can get 14+9 paladins).

I've played through a bit of Joan of Arc and Genghis Khan campaigns as well and they don't seem very different from the originals. The overall design of the map is improved and I've heard they have used the new civs where they originally didn't have the option before (I'm expecting Hungary to be Magyars now, for instance). The Forgotten campaigns and battles however seem to have gotten a massive rework (which was needed).
kud13
Squire
posted 11-15-19 05:21 PM CT (US)     848 / 886       
I don't have Win 10 yet (waiting for end-of-year sales to build a new rig before upgrading the OS), but if I can get DE working on 7, I'll try to give them a shot this weekend as well.

Edit: it runs! And my God, is it gorgeous.

Also, Alaric is totally re-made. The first 2 scenarios aren't even in Italy. Too bad the narrator's not Alaric's wife anymore, but man, the scenarios are fun.

Edit (Nov 19th): beat the new Alaric campaign over the weekend. The only thing that remains from the old one is the map for the siege of Rome, even if the scenario itself has been overhauled. Most of the RPG elements are gone, but the story of the new campaign is far more coherent. Scen 5 destroyed me a few times until I took my starting force to snipe the other Goth very early on; after that the game became far more manageable.

Next up, started Attila and... moderate AI seems to be way more aggressive: I found myself having difficulty sniping the Romans early, and if I tried to sit back and age up, I'd get rushed by Castle-age Persians;
After a few tries I turned the speed down, and was able to play the scenario normally.

Yesterday night I went through the Battles of Forgotten, to get a feel for them; Bapheus, Honfoglas and Cyprus were re-formed, dropping a lot of the early RPG story bits; Langshan Jiang was re-named, but seems to be pretty similar premise to the original; everything else seems to be largely the same, though I haven't gotten deep enough into York to see what the final objectives would be. Didn't go through all the battles of the conquerors, but Tours does have Berbers and Saracens now

Tonight I had very little time to play, so I just booted up Scen 1 in each of the Forgotten campaign- and they've all been re-done to varying extent. Wowee, that's a ton of new content even aside the new civs...

[This message has been edited by kud13 (edited 11-18-2019 @ 11:44 PM).]

Kataphraktoi
Squire
posted 11-22-19 11:36 AM CT (US)     849 / 886       
Whoops, DE dropped and I am actually a little pressed for time...30 GB sigh?...looks interesting, trying to avoid any spoilers from the likes of viper so I will try it fresh sometime here.

Filthydelphia
Squire
(id: Al_Kharn the Great)
posted 11-22-19 03:36 PM CT (US)     850 / 886       
All the Forgotten campaigns have had significant changes and several campaigns have been completely re-made from scratch. For example, I re-made Sforza and Prithviraj with entirely new scenarios and Bassi made the all-new Pachacuti campaign.

Speaking of which, I've released (7) custom scenarios for DE and Bassi has also released a 3-scenario campaign on the Golden Horde. You can find them by going to the in-game mod manager and browsing for campaigns.

[This message has been edited by Filthydelphia (edited 11-22-2019 @ 03:38 PM).]

Kataphraktoi
Squire
posted 11-23-19 11:10 AM CT (US)     851 / 886       
The overhauls of old scenarios is very interesting, I didn't know you guys would have so much time for that. Are the ES scenarios mostly original? Good thing I made that overview then to crystallize my thoughts, can compare the before and after.

kud13
Squire
posted 11-23-19 03:57 PM CT (US)     852 / 886       
All the Forgotten campaigns have had significant changes and several campaigns have been completely re-made from scratch. For example, I re-made Sforza and Prithviraj with entirely new scenarios and Bassi made the all-new Pachacuti campaign.

Speaking of which, I've released (7) custom scenarios for DE and Bassi has also released a 3-scenario campaign on the Golden Horde. You can find them by going to the in-game mod manager and browsing for campaigns.
*starts a new chronological list for all the DE content*

Are you planning to port your old scenarios into DE as well?
HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 11-24-19 03:47 AM CT (US)     853 / 886       
Are the ES scenarios mostly original?
The structure and gameplay of the ES scenarios are largely the same, but things like visuals, AI, and population limits have received considerable updates to put them on par with newer scenarios. Additionally, player civilizations have been replaced with newer ones where appropriate - as an example, in the Tours scenario, the "Berbers" are actually Berbers now, not Turks.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
kud13
Squire
posted 11-24-19 11:55 AM CT (US)     854 / 886       
No more unlimited purchases of regenerating cataphracts = RIP Khosrau.

Worst part is, I forgot to save before attacking. I hit the front gate and managed to demolish one castle and a set of production buildings, but as I broke through the second gate into the inner base, my troops were spread out too thin, being easy fodder for Mongol mangudai and cav archers; and then I got flanked, with a big group wiping out half of my production buildings; eventually, I lost the war of attrition and had to call it quits; the Gokturks didn't really do anything to help- since the back path into the white Huns' camp was blocked in the update, they were helpless against the north-facing walls.

EDIT: beat it. All it took was changing the direction of the attack and amassing a force of 40+ War Elephants to lead the charge. This initial force was able to provide the screen for my Siege Rams to take out the remote military camp in the southern mountains, and then break into the main gatehouse and from there into the White Hun heartland. At the same time, a token force composed of Paladins and skirms was able to screen my Northern flank and draw attention of the last big production center onto my own forward camp and its 2 castles. The Gokturks turned on me halfway through the battle, but they weren't particularly effective. I was able to wipe out the White Huns and then turn northwards effectively my Skirms scattered the Gokturks' Cav Archers (they never advanced to Imp, so they were pretty weak) and then hit their TC and Castle.

Next up, Dos Pillas, then I'm gonna check out some of Al_Kharn's Stuff before moving onto Tariq.

[This message has been edited by kud13 (edited 11-25-2019 @ 01:02 AM).]

Kataphraktoi
Squire
posted 11-27-19 04:27 PM CT (US)     855 / 886       
No more unlimited purchases of regenerating cataphracts = RIP Khosrau.
They didnt seem very good to me since they had lower pierce armour, though.

Having just realized this AoK DE is windows10 exclusive I probably wont be playing it anytime soon. I do have a second gaming PC for win10 but its on the shelf and inconvenient to utilize longterm for space reasons. My current thinking is I will just wait a year or two and see if the multiplayer community picks it up heavily before putting any effort into being able to play this.

kud13
Squire
posted 11-29-19 11:36 AM CT (US)     856 / 886       
It's not actually Win 10 exclusive. I've been playing it just fine on Win 7.

I tried playing Dos Pillas on DE, and it collapsed spectacularly because the "Calakmul takes Dois Pillas" trigger decided to fire a second time after I took the city back, and I ended up being deprived of 2 cities the second time around- with no way to get back into the Uax-somethign city again, because it became hostile.

I did play Al_Kharn's "Blood for the Serpent God" minigame, which was a pretty neat concept, if not particularly challenging.
Kataphraktoi
Squire
posted 12-05-19 11:52 AM CT (US)     857 / 886       
Ok, purchasing it on steam then....if it doesnt work I will just refund it I guess.

Also just downloading all the PTC entries, looking forward to checking them out.

Gaspar
Squire
posted 12-05-19 02:01 PM CT (US)     858 / 886       
Replayed my Fithel scenario in DE.
I've realized how awkward and unfun the opening sequence of the siege are- letting the scout go by so you can ambush the cart, finding Copey the siege engineer, getting the rams to Copey, etc. It's all tedious and poorly instructed. It takes away from the actual fun part, blasting into Aegrists' fortress and avalanching his castle.
Fithel was just the kernel of a much greater story, one I've been teasing out over the past fifteen years. I think it would make a great campaign. Fithel would have to remade, though. Keep the same idea, a short intense siege, but with more freedom and clearer objectives. Also there's more to the story now than a brother rescuing his sister from a lecherous lord, would to add things.
Lord Basse
MI6 Scenario-Making Machine
posted 12-12-19 05:23 PM CT (US)     859 / 886       
It's been too long since I played Fithel so I don't remember much of it, besides it being a siege. Missions like that can still be used to good effect, though, if you decide to remak the scenario. Simple tasks that keep the player occupied and invested in the behind the scenes works of the siege, while allowing for exploration both of the map and the story through simple missions.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 95,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
Kataphraktoi
Squire
posted 02-13-20 04:26 PM CT (US)     860 / 886       
Julius, I sent you something interesting to your yahoo address.

[This message has been edited by Kataphraktoi (edited 02-13-2020 @ 04:26 PM).]

Julius999
Imposter
posted 02-14-20 03:56 PM CT (US)     861 / 886       
Thanks. I have responded.

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
Member of Stormwind Studios
HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 04-29-20 04:11 PM CT (US)     862 / 886       
Mash, someone posted a playthrough of Defence at Lorgan's Watch on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFoxaa3gjIw

~ Forgotten Empires ~

BOT_Alan
Squire
posted 05-01-20 08:09 AM CT (US)     863 / 886       
is this a bad thing to do ? just wondering
Lord Basse
posted 05-01-20 09:02 AM CT (US)     864 / 886       
I wouldn't say it is. I remeber ZeroEmpires made a let's play of one of my scenarios years ago and I enjoyed every bit of it. It's very rare that you actually get to see someone play and enjoy your design, and it can also help drive more people to download your work!

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 95,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
Mighty Myrmidon
Squire
posted 05-01-20 01:28 PM CT (US)     865 / 886       
Played through Bot_Alan's contest submission and am now working my way through The Last Romans by Filthydelphia. This one is going to take a few tries...

I'm going to try to play through and review as many entries as I have time for. So far, it's been great!
Possidon
Slayer
posted 05-01-20 02:33 PM CT (US)     866 / 886       
Mighty Myrmidon
Squire
posted 05-02-20 06:09 PM CT (US)     867 / 886       
Should we wait on reviews until after the judges verdicts?
HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 05-03-20 02:32 AM CT (US)     868 / 886       
That would probably be the fairest thing to do. As objective as a judge endeavors to be, it is difficult to form a fully uninfluenced opinion after seeing a review score already present.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Andanu Trisatya
Squire
posted 05-04-20 04:02 AM CT (US)     869 / 886       
Mash, someone posted a playthrough of Defence at Lorgan's Watch on YouTube
Wow, nice! Wonder if Mash had noticed. I can only imagine someone playing through my work and posting it on YouTube. It's one of the greatest compliment one could ever get.

████████
████████
/\NDANU TRISATY/\
The Least Skilled Member of StormWind Studios

-:|:- Blacksmith Files -:|:- Fabula Fatali -:|:- Photography -:|:- Age of Kings Heaven -:|:-
HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 05-04-20 07:34 AM CT (US)     870 / 886       
Aye, wanted to make sure he'd see it!

~ Forgotten Empires ~

duyhung2h
Squire
posted 05-13-20 03:17 PM CT (US)     871 / 886       
I have played through most of 2020 DTS entries. Gotta say the one I struggled the most were Filthy's The Last Roman and BOT_Alan's Perdiccas. I think the difficulty is totally intentional, because Constantinople was always too big to not fall!

Alkhalim's Doorstep to Valhalla was the most interesting, having tricks like modified resources and custom units/mechanics. The scenery was authentic, but there was nothing too much to graze at.

May I recommend anyone to check out my updated DTS20 entry with the latest version? I fixed most of the issues to my best ability according to the feedback I got.

My aspiring new creation for DE:
Gensokyo: Season of Calamity
El Nath (Winner of ZeroEmpires designer contest)
More are in the work...

[This message has been edited by duyhung2h (edited 05-13-2020 @ 03:21 PM).]

Possidon
Slayer
posted 05-13-20 04:23 PM CT (US)     872 / 886       
I played through Hammister’s Thrones of Iberia the other day. It’s a really creative scenario with a very unique style of gameplay. Reminded me a lot of Medival Total War. I highly recommend it to others.
Hammister
Squire
posted 05-14-20 10:27 AM CT (US)     873 / 886       
I played through Hammister’s Thrones of Iberia the other day. It’s a really creative scenario with a very unique style of gameplay. Reminded me a lot of Medival Total War. I highly recommend it to others.
Possidon- I have just read your review- really made my day! Thank you for the extensive and very nice feedback.
As you mentioned, the story in this scenario is not very detailed. I deliberately wanted to give an open, vague story without specifying exactly who the player was and leaving a few things to the player's imagination.
I only included the famous Battle of Las Navas de Tolosa and the Siege of Granada to include some historical events.
Finally, it is also possible to complete the scenario as an ally of Cordoba and thus experience a completely different course than in actual history (i.e. to bring Spain under Islamic rule). Just to satisfy my curiosity - which allies did you choose?
Possidon
Slayer
posted 05-14-20 12:01 PM CT (US)     874 / 886       
I chose Castile and Leon. I’m actually planning on playing it again and choosing Corboda this time and seeing how that looks.
Lord Basse
posted 05-17-20 08:04 AM CT (US)     875 / 886       
On a bit of an unrelated note, my campaign The Relics of Athalën can now be played with the HD/2013 edition of the game, by using the AoE2HD Compatibility Patch. I've included instructions on how to get this to work in the Blacksmith file. Thanks to Mahazona for pointing me to this resource!

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 23 24 25 26  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames