You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.201 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Fantasy Scenario Contest 2019 - Results Are In!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Fantasy Scenario Contest 2019 - Results Are In!
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 6  Next Page »
Leif Ericson
Seraph Emeritus
posted 06-11-19 08:09 AM CT (US)         

Hello all, and welcome to AoKH's Fantasy Scenario Contest! The theme of this contest is Fantasy (shocking!), but that might take in more than you expect. Historical fiction with a slice fantastical, mythologies, legends, low fantasy, high fantasy, book adaptations, original stories, all are fair game! If you are interested and considering entering, please be sure to read all of the rules below before committing your name in a reply.

Submit all entries to the Single Player Scenarios category in the Blacksmith, then post here to let us know the scenario is to be considered an entry. All entries must be submitted by 11:59 PM EST, November 30th. It must meet the requirements listed below to be eligible for judging. Otherwise, you will face disqualification. As an added note, we will be approving the files in the Blacksmith as they appear, so don't worry about the long deadline. Our goal is to run the contests this year simultaneously with long deadlines, hopefully encouraging people to enter whatever they feel like and plan their designing hours accordingly.

In addition, please keep in mind that this contest is a newer addition to AoKH's lineup, and as such we encourage you to voice any concerns you have with the rules or format.

Rules
1. Cut-scenes are allowed, but must be contained within the scenario. Scenarios must include at least some playable portions.
2. One entry per person or per team only. Yes, team designs are allowed
3. The use of Userpatch and AOK:HD are allowed.
4. The Use of The Forgotten Expansion, African Kingdoms, and Rise of the Rajas is permitted.
5. Graphical or data mods are allowed. If your scenario uses an original modification, include it in the download file. If your scenario uses an existing mod (eg. Age of Chivalry or Tales of Middle Earth, please include a link in the file description to the download).
6. There is no trigger limit. However, the use of extra triggers will not necessarily warrant a higher score.
7. The use of custom soundtracks and sound effects is permitted and encouraged. If using custom sound files, please specify somewhere on which speed the scenario is to be played, as otherwise the soundtracks might overlap if the scenario is played on a speed other than what the designer intended, which will cause points to be deducted.
9. Please submit your scenario in campaign (.cpx) format.

Fantasy Theme
As noted, the scenario must be considered to contain some fantasy element. If you are having trouble deciding if your scenario qualifies, consider the following examples:

Scenarios that would be allowed:
1. A LOTR or Game of Thrones adaptation
2. A scenario based around Norse, Egyption, Chinese, Aztec, or Greek Mythology (among others)
3. A Robin Hood or King Arthur scenario
4. Ulio or The Kings Best Men (or I should say something like these, please no plagiarism)
5. Historical Fantasy, such as a Merlin based England scenario

Scenarios that wouldn't really qualify:
1. A highly historical version of Badon Hill
2. Religious scenarios
3. Historical fiction with no real fantastical elements. A Trojan War scenario which features the Greek gods would be allowed, for example, while something like the movie 'Troy' is mostly just pseudo-historical fiction.

Judging
All entries will be judged based on categories slightly altered from the review guidelines, as follows:

Enjoyment (15) - Simply, how much fun is the scenario to play?
Balance (5) - When played on the suggested settings, is the scenario well balanced? If there is more than one difficulty setting, do the levels scale appropriately? An easy or terribly hard scenario may still score full marks, if the judge feels his enjoyment was not hindered by lack of challenge or multiple saves/reloads.
Creativity (5) - Covers the creative elements you incorporate into your map, story, gameplay, and design. Creativity should be judged roughly as it is scored in a blacksmith review.
Scenario Design (15) - Covers your map design skills, your soundtrack, your bitmap, your presentation, the flow, the polishing...simply put, it's the skill on display at making scenarios!
Story (10) - Similar to the blacksmith, but with particular focus on how the fantasy elements of the story were implemented, or how the original story was adapted, the legend was re-imagined, etc.

(total of 50 possible points)

Prizes
To be confirmed...

Judges
1. Popeychops
2. Kataphraktoi(?)
3. DeviousDev
4. Lord Basse

Some fantasy scenarios for inspiration:

Contestants: (contestants with finished entries in bold)

• HELLKNIGHT61
  • The Great Artiste
  • HockeySam18
  • Vardamir
  • Leif Ericson
  • TheRealGuardian
  • Talon Karrde
  • iLikeHell
  • Mr Zurkon

~`o´~|\  Join the fresh and exciting AI Ladder for its fourth season!
    ´ `  |_\
           |    Learn the joy of AI scripting in my guide: The World of AI Scripting
    ______|______
     \        /
       .....Hinga Dinga Durgen! - SpongeBob
      `-=<.__.>=-´

[This message has been edited by Leif Ericson (edited 09-16-2019 @ 08:42 AM).]

• AuthorReplies:
    Popeychops
    "Cool" Huskarl
    posted 12-02-19 05:04 PM CT (US)     106 / 201       
    I don't think that's particularly fair, given the deadline has passed.

Member of BlackForest Studios
    Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
    and The Seas of Egressa (4.8) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
    "Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
    "Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
    "You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile
    HELLKNIGHT61
    Squire
    posted 12-02-19 05:07 PM CT (US)     107 / 201       
    Ok. No problem... I suggest you playing the main scenario with "Moderate" difficuty from Custom Campaign menu to avoid from ai problems. I am sorry for the misfortunes.
    HELLKNIGHT61
    Squire
    posted 12-03-19 00:19 AM CT (US)     108 / 201       
    Hello again!.. I am really sorry for the unexpected problem. This problem is not available in my computer. So I have never encountered with it in my all tests.

MY LAST OFFER ABOUT CUTSCENE: You definitely don't have to do but I want to try for one more last time. If you agree this offer I will be grateful to you. If all judges encounter with same problem in the cutscene I can send you a new save game file ( the rest of the execution of Robin's parents ) so they can continue the cutscene from this new save game slot. By the way you DON'T NEED to judge my cutscene scenario. Because it isn't the main scenario. You don't need to review or judge the cutscene scenario. So it never causes unfair situations because it will never be judged. You need to watch it to see Robin Hood's past. Because the main action scenario has "story connections" with the cutscene scenario. I don't want from you to miss story connections. If you agree this offer I will be grateful to you. You don't have to do definitely but if you do I will be very grateful. Because the cutscene scenario is really important. I am really sorry for my unexpected misfortunes. Sorry again...

[This message has been edited by HELLKNIGHT61 (edited 12-03-2019 @ 00:21 AM).]

HockeySam18
    Dúnadan
    posted 12-03-19 02:39 AM CT (US)     109 / 201       
    I'll leave this to the judges' discretion, but from the main post:
    1. Cut-scenes are allowed, but must be contained within the scenario.
    If that rule were to be interpreted strictly, it would exclude the separate cutscene scenario from being judged anyway.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
    HELLKNIGHT61
    Squire
    posted 12-04-19 12:04 PM CT (US)     110 / 201       
    NEWS: I tested the cutscene scenario's steam version 30 minutes ago for the steam community upload. The wolf part with Robin's parents is working greatly in my computer even I haven't done any changings from aok.heavengames.com contest upload version. I tested the cutscene with "Moderate" difficulty.

So are judges really sure that they tried the cutscene with "Moderate" difficulty from "Custom Campaign" menu? If judges really tried with "Moderate" difficulty it will be impossible for me to explain their wolf part problem reason. Because this part is working greatly in my computer for both steam and aok versions even there aren't any changings after the contest upload version. But if judges still have problems even with "Moderate" difficulty from "Custom Campaign" menu I can send them a new savegame file that is the rest of the death of Robin's parents. So judges can continue the cutscene from this new savegame slot.
    Lord Basse
    MI6 Scenario-Making Machine
    posted 12-05-19 08:30 AM CT (US)     111 / 201       
    My graphics card decided to stop working so I won't be able to play the scenarios quite as soon as I was hoping. My widescreen monitor has been forcibly reverted back to 1024x768, playing custom scenarios seems to crash the entire system and for some reason Display Instruction texts just don't appear at all. Fortunately I have another computer where I might be able to install the game, but it won't be for at least a few days.

__[]_________
    |||||||||||||||||
    The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
    OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
    ______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
    The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 95,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
    HELLKNIGHT61
    Squire
    posted 12-05-19 08:46 AM CT (US)     112 / 201       
    So is this situation is due to your old computer or our files? If this situation is due to our files I suggest you lowering screen resolution and texture quality from "Options" menu for your new computer.

My computer is 2013 model computer with i5 and 1.7 Ghz. ( with Turbo Boost up to 2.7 Ghz ) Nividia GeForce 840M card... 4 GB Ram and 500 GB HDD... It is a 2013 model computer.

[This message has been edited by HELLKNIGHT61 (edited 12-05-2019 @ 08:47 AM).]

Lord Basse
    posted 12-05-19 09:21 AM CT (US)     113 / 201       
    It's unrelated to the scenarios, it's been acting up for a while now.

__[]_________
    |||||||||||||||||
    ______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
    The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 95,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
    iLikeHell
    Squire
    posted 12-09-19 05:01 AM CT (US)     114 / 201       
    Honestly, I was wondering why our FSC maps haven't been uploaded yet. If the deadine was postponed it was enough to say it, otherwise I think they should have been loaded together with the PTC scenarios and not two weeks later
    Devious Dev
    Official Professional Qualified Noob
    (id: dragonslayermcmx)
    posted 12-09-19 05:25 AM CT (US)     115 / 201       
    I agree. I haven't received anything for judging either. I guess the community is currently just more focused on the PTC.
    HELLKNIGHT61
    Squire
    posted 12-09-19 09:06 AM CT (US)     116 / 201       
    I also agree iLikeHell. Because all PTC files were revealed in blacksmith before the results. So our files are also need to be revealed like PTC files before the results.
    Lord Basse
    posted 12-09-19 10:36 AM CT (US)     117 / 201       
    I agree that they should be made public, seeing as the PTC entries were.
    I haven't received anything for judging either. I guess the community is currently just more focused on the PTC.
    Me neither, I had to download by tracking number.

__[]_________
    |||||||||||||||||
    Mr Wednesday
    Cavalier
    (id: matty12345)
    posted 12-09-19 07:50 PM CT (US)     118 / 201       
    The PTC entrants specifically asked for the entries to be released. I approved them for that reason.

I'm approving these two entries now.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
    HELLKNIGHT61
    Squire
    posted 12-10-19 00:40 AM CT (US)     119 / 201       
    Thanks for the approval. If judges or other players encounter with villager task bug (Enemy units don't task to villagers or civilians...) I suggest them always choosing "Moderate" difficulty from "Custom Campaign" menu to provide ideal AI patterns. If they still encounter with this problem I can send them a new save game slot to skip the problem. But always be sure that choosing "Moderate" difficulty from "Custom Campaign" menu.

Also villager task bug is not available in my all tests. I tested with "Moderate" difficulty for each time.

[This message has been edited by HELLKNIGHT61 (edited 12-10-2019 @ 00:42 AM).]

iLikeHell
    Squire
    posted 12-10-19 01:51 AM CT (US)     120 / 201       
    I'm still not agree: our two maps should be on top of the new releases and instead mine isn't there because it's too old. I ask that they are both placed at the top of the list.
    I struggled a lot to be able to complete it and now that it's on the site people don't even know of its existence.
    I finished and loaded the map at the right time and if the staff for various reasons upload it later, I don't think it should be a disadvantage for me

[This message has been edited by iLikeHell (edited 12-10-2019 @ 01:56 AM).]

Lord Basse
    posted 12-10-19 06:06 AM CT (US)     121 / 201       
    I'm still not agree: our two maps should be on top of the new releases and instead mine isn't there because it's too old. I ask that they are both placed at the top of the list.
    I don't think this is even technically possible, the uploads are automatically sorted by upload date and there's not much the admin can do to affect the order.

__[]_________
    |||||||||||||||||
    Mr Wednesday
    Cavalier
    (id: matty12345)
    posted 12-10-19 08:16 AM CT (US)     122 / 201       
    You submitted your scenario 11 days before the deadline, so even if I had approved it on Dec 1, it still would have been lower on the list. I can't change the order unfortunately.

Currently these entries are 1st and 4th on the scenario and campaign lists respectively, so I'm sure people will see them.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
    Julius999
    Imposter
    posted 12-10-19 06:11 PM CT (US)     123 / 201       
    It surely is technically possible, in that the existing files could be removed by the Blacksmith administrator and they could be re-uploaded.

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
    Member of Stormwind Studios
    Popeychops
    "Cool" Huskarl
    posted 12-11-19 06:04 AM CT (US)     124 / 201       
    I have finished playing Hellknight's entry.

I'll need a little more time to finish judging ilikehell's entry, but I have a reasonable idea about the scoring both entries will receive from me. I'm very busy this week, so let me know if you need to get a provisional result from me, Leif.

Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
    "Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
    "Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
    "You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile
    HELLKNIGHT61
    Squire
    posted 12-11-19 06:14 AM CT (US)     125 / 201       
    Thanks for finishing my file. I want to ask you a question:

Were you able to watch the cutscene 100 percent by trying with "Moderate" difficulty? If you couldn't achieve to watch it due to villager task bug even if you choose "Moderate" difficulty from "Custom Campaign" menu I can send you a new save game file that is the rest of the execution of Robin's parents. So you can continue watching the cutscene from there. ( In your free moments ) Because the cutscene is really important for story connections.

[This message has been edited by HELLKNIGHT61 (edited 12-11-2019 @ 06:14 AM).]

Popeychops
    "Cool" Huskarl
    posted 12-11-19 04:16 PM CT (US)     126 / 201       
    The cutscene is not part of the judgeable content of the file, and my difficulty in playing the main file cannot be undone.

Leif Ericson
    Seraph Emeritus
    posted 12-11-19 11:45 PM CT (US)     127 / 201       
    Thanks for the update Popey.

´ `  |_\
    ______|______
     \        /
      `-=<.__.>=-´
    HELLKNIGHT61
    Squire
    posted 12-12-19 01:22 AM CT (US)     128 / 201       
    I am really sorry. If you don't want you definitely don't need to do. You are right the cutscene is NOT in the judging process. But it has important story connections with main scenario. If a person finishes the main scenario without playing the cutscene that person will miss some story connections. But if you don't want to play this is your personal preference so I can't do anything except giving you an advice about it. I am sorry due to my unnecessary persistence. I won't open this topic anymore for you. Thanks for playing the main scenario. I hope that you had a good and funny time with the main scenario.
    Lord Basse
    posted 12-12-19 05:19 PM CT (US)     129 / 201       
    Still having problems with my graphics card but, with some luck, I may have found a way to play the entries this weekend.

__[]_________
    |||||||||||||||||
    HELLKNIGHT61
    Squire
    posted 12-13-19 09:46 AM CT (US)     130 / 201       
    If you achieve to play my campaign I suggest you playing my all 2 scenarios with "Moderate" difficulty from "Custom Campaign" menu for ideal ai patterns.

If you encounter with the villager task bug in the cutscene scenario I can send you a new game slot that is the rest of it. So you can continue the cutscene from this save game slot.

I suggest you choosing the first difficulty in your first try after starting the main scenario. If you want to play the main scenario again you can choose the second difficulty this time. Third difficulty is for very professional players.
    Lord Basse
    posted 12-16-19 02:06 PM CT (US)     131 / 201       
    It doesn't look like I will be able to solve this issue as soon as I was hoping. If I do manage to get it working before the rest of the judges are done with their scores, I will play both entries and send my scores in as soon as possible. If not, you can just go ahead and publish the results without my scores.

How are things going for the other judges?

__[]_________
    |||||||||||||||||
    HELLKNIGHT61
    Squire
    posted 12-17-19 02:53 AM CT (US)     132 / 201       
    Hi!.. Everybody!.. I have a new question. iLikeHell updated his file after my feedback. I support him due to this update because it is a great thing for him to improve his file. But is this situation against the contest rules due to updating his file before the results? If it isn't against the contest rules I want to update my file too before the results.

[This message has been edited by HELLKNIGHT61 (edited 12-17-2019 @ 02:54 AM).]

Devious Dev
    posted 12-17-19 06:35 AM CT (US)     133 / 201       
    Pretty sure it's against the rules to update your scenario after the deadline. I don't think anyone will get disqualified for it, but the judges should not download the updated version.

Speaking of, can one of the other judges or a moderator send me the original version of iLikeHell's entry? I had not yet downloaded it.

[This message has been edited by Devious Dev (edited 12-17-2019 @ 06:36 AM).]

iLikeHell
    Squire
    posted 12-17-19 07:52 AM CT (US)     134 / 201       
    Hi, have you found my first version? I thought that after 30 days and 15 from the end of the contest, you judges had at least already downloaded it ..
    Devious Dev
    posted 12-17-19 08:10 AM CT (US)     135 / 201       
    You're right, and I should have, but I decided to focus on the Pretty Town contest first because it had more entries and fewer judges. Regardless, I aim to have my scores for you guys ready by the end of this week.

If you still have the first version, I would be delighted if you could email it to me (you can find my email in my profile, the small button above my post next to the time and date). If not, I'm sure one of the other judges can send it to me.
    iLikeHell
    Squire
    posted 12-17-19 08:33 AM CT (US)     136 / 201       
    Hi i sent you the scenario
    Devious Dev
    posted 12-17-19 09:33 AM CT (US)     137 / 201       
    Perfect, thank you
    Popeychops
    "Cool" Huskarl
    posted 12-19-19 10:14 AM CT (US)     138 / 201       
    I have sent my scores to Leif.

Popeychops
    "Cool" Huskarl
    posted 12-27-19 01:56 PM CT (US)     139 / 201       
    Any other scores in?

Leif Ericson
    Seraph Emeritus
    posted 12-27-19 07:00 PM CT (US)     140 / 201       
    I've only received scores from Popey so far.

´ `  |_\
    ______|______
     \        /
      `-=<.__.>=-´
    « Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 6  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames