You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.38 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Project: Scania RP
Bottom
Topic Subject:Project: Scania RP
Lord Basse
MI6 Scenario-Making Machine
posted 01-18-20 08:11 AM CT (US)         

Download the scenario here!

ABOUT THE SCENARIO:

It's the year 20xx and there is war once more in the Baltic Sea! The small region of Scania becomes an international battleground as anarchy spreads throughout the land, and every military power in the area wants a piece of the cake. Take charge of one of eight factions in this role-playing diplomacy map! Forge temporary alliances to forward your goals, and fight your way across a detailed landscape inspired by real life locations: play as Denmark, to regain control of the eastern half of the kingdom lost over 300 years ago; or as Russia's invasion force, seeking control of the area; or as one of the newly formed Scanian city states, seeking retribution for old grudges against each other!

This is a multiplayer diplomacy/RP scenario, set on a giant map and made exclusively for Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition. Each player has unique victory conditions and only one can win in the end, meaning all alliances will be temporary and every player needs to consider their long-term strategy to be able to win.

BACKGROUND:

This was originally meant to be a hastily put together map for a multiplayer game between me and a bunch of friends, hence the somewhat ridiculous plot and setting. It quickly ended up being a much bigger project, though, and I decided to create two versions: one personal, and one for public release - which is this one!

THE PLAYERS AND THEIR OBJECTIVES:

Player 1: Bornholm; Vikings: Danish rebels have taken control of the easternmost province of Denmark, located just south-east of Scania. These modern day Vikings seek to throw all Swedish invaders out of the old Danish provice of Scania, as well as retain their independence from the decadent Danish government to the west. To do this they aim to conquer the cities of Malmö, Kristianstad and Helsingborg, gather 5 cultural treasures (relics) and control the Viking era burial grounds at Ale's Stones.

Player 2: Denmark; Spanish: the Danish government wants to use the chaos across the Öresund Strait to reclaim the region, which they lost in the shameful Treaty of Roskilde in 1658. They also seek to bring Bornholm back into the fold, as well as stay in control of the vital Öresund Bridge connecting their lands to the eastern region.

Player 3: Kristianstad; Britons: this city state in the woodland region of Göinge wants nothing to do with the rest of the world. If they get what they want, Scania will become its own country; the bridge to the continent will be demolished, as will the ghastly Halland Ridge Tunnel still controlled by Sweden. They, too, seek to control the culturally important burial grounds of Ale's Stones.

Player 4: Markaryd; Celts: in the deep woods north of Scania, the town of Markaryd has taken advantage of the anarchy in the south to declare itself independent. They too seek control of the region, but they focus on collecting relics and constructing defensive bunkers (Wonders) in the various cities - whether these cities want to or not! They also see the Russian invaders as mortal enemies.

Player 5: Russian Invaders; Slavs: the opportunistic leaders in the great country in the east see an opportunity to expand into western Europe, and they are not afraid to act on it. Their primary goal is to shut out the other local powers by demolishing the Öresund Bridge and Halland Ridge Tunnel, as well as controlling the strategically important locations of Bornholm, Malmö and Karlshamn in the east.

Player 6: Malmö; Franks: the most populous city state, located at the eastern end of the Öresund Bridge, this city state desperately needs to feed its population. To do this they must control and work the fertile farmlands of the south, as well as wrest control of the bridge from the Danes. Finally, they are taking this opportunity to destroy their age-old rivals to the north: the town of Helsingborg.

Player 7: Helsingborg; Portuguese: this northern trading town sees the war as an unnecessary disruption of trade more than anything. They seek a new stable situation by capturing the Danish town of Helsingör across the sea, ensuring that the Öresund Bridge remains standing - as well as keeping the gold from trade flowing and amassing 50,000 or more of it. Lastly, they want to settle an old grudge they have with Malmö, whose football team have so often shamed them in the league.

Player 8: Sweden; Lithuanians: lastly we have the Swedish, caught off guard and unprepared for war. They are sending in troops through the Halland Ridge Tunnel in the west, while their economic heart lies to the east; a precarious starting position. They seek nothing more than to regain control of the region and to take over the bridge over the Öresund Strait.

(Some liberties have obviously been taken in the civilization choices here, because it would be quite boring with 7 Viking players and 1 Slav. )

SCREENSHOTS:

A Danish fortress | Ruins of Glimmingehus | Russian invaders! | Neo-Vikings amassing on Bornholm | The fertile lands of Malmö | Danish farmlands | River sanctuary | Town of Kristianstad | On the road again | Southern Ridge with ruins

Note: the seas are still very much works in progress, and they will not look this bland in the end.

PROGRESS:

Map design: 100%
Triggers: 100%
Instructions & miscellaneous stuff: 100%
Total: 100% *

* No exaggeration, I would have been finished a week ago if it wasn't for the lag that happens in the editor on maps this size.

A StormWind Studios production.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 95,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 03-17-2020 @ 02:01 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 01-18-20 12:51 PM CT (US)     1 / 38       
This looks outstanding, both visually and in topical matter. Count me in for a game once it's done

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
Possidon
Slayer
posted 01-18-20 01:40 PM CT (US)     2 / 38       
Lord Basse
posted 01-18-20 03:34 PM CT (US)     3 / 38       
Thanks chaps! Hoping to have this ready sometime next week. Hopefully we can get enough people for a couple rounds of playtesting after that.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 95,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
Julius999
Imposter
posted 01-18-20 05:33 PM CT (US)     4 / 38       
Nice screenshots. I especially like the use of chains along the sides of the bridge.

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
Member of Stormwind Studios
Andanu Trisatya
Squire
posted 01-18-20 11:19 PM CT (US)     5 / 38       
Gorgeous screenshots.

Does the DE editor come with the ruined version of every single building for every single civ?

████████
████████
/\NDANU TRISATY/\
The Least Skilled Member of StormWind Studios

-:|:- Blacksmith Files -:|:- Fabula Fatali -:|:- Photography -:|:- Age of Kings Heaven -:|:-
Lord Basse
posted 01-19-20 02:10 AM CT (US)     6 / 38       
I especially like the use of chains along the sides of the bridge.
Thank you! The chains are the closest things I could find to metal wires.
Does the DE editor come with the ruined version of every single building for every single civ?
I think it's just the Eastern European ones, unfortunately. I believe it's a hangover from the old Forgotten Empires mod.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 01-19-2020 @ 02:11 AM).]

HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 01-19-20 04:09 AM CT (US)     7 / 38       
So, whose objective is it to decipher the Rök runestone?

~ Forgotten Empires ~

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
Lord Basse
posted 01-19-20 04:26 AM CT (US)     8 / 38       
I think that's gonna have to be part of the sequel, when the Danish Neo-Vikings are taking over the rest of the Nordic countries.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 01-19-20 11:12 AM CT (US)     9 / 38       
Haha, touché

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Lord Basse
posted 01-19-20 02:28 PM CT (US)     10 / 38       
Bumping the map design up to 85%. Another two or three rounds in the editor and the map itself should be done.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 01-20-20 02:21 AM CT (US)     11 / 38       
Defending your MI6 Scenario-Making Machine title, I see

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Alexandergreat3
Squire
posted 01-20-20 03:02 AM CT (US)     12 / 38       
Best of luck with your project!
No exaggeration, I would have been finished a week ago if it wasn't for the lag that happens in the editor on maps this size
I get tons of lag with a giant map size. Fortunately, I accidentally found out that when the game is played in Full Desktop mode, the lag is greatly reduced. I have no idea why, but this was the exact same case with Age of Mythology.
Lord Basse
posted 01-20-20 04:34 AM CT (US)     13 / 38       
Huh, I'm definitely going to have to try that out!

EDIT - Unfortunately the lag is still the same for me. My only hope now lies with the devs to finally fix this.
Defending your MI6 Scenario-Making Machine title, I see
I can't let Filthy be the only one dealing out new maps like there's no tomorrow!

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 01-20-2020 @ 09:01 AM).]

Alexandergreat3
Squire
posted 01-20-20 10:23 AM CT (US)     14 / 38       
Oh, that's too bad. No idea why Definitive Edition is so laggy.
Lord Basse
posted 01-20-20 11:22 AM CT (US)     15 / 38       
Yeah, it's a real bummer. I'm not going to start any more projects this size until they have that part fixed honestly, it's just a constant struggle to even paint the terrain as it is.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
Kataphraktoi
Squire
posted 01-22-20 11:29 AM CT (US)     16 / 38       
Nice map! Good deal of detail.

Record the results if you do get a session going and put em on your channel Even back when I was playing multiplayer, getting these things going was a huge challenge...

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel
Lord Basse
posted 01-22-20 02:30 PM CT (US)     17 / 38       
Thank you! I will be making at least one recording of this, but it will be in Swedish unfortunately. I was originally just going to make this map for a let's play video, but I ended up spending so much time on it that it would just be a waste not to give it a proper release.

Also, map design is now at 95%. I just have a few blank spots left to fill, and then there's the ocean bits, and then I'm done.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 01-22-2020 @ 02:31 PM).]

Filthydelphia
Squire
(id: Al_Kharn the Great)
posted 01-22-20 06:44 PM CT (US)     18 / 38       
I can't let Filthy be the only one dealing out new maps like there's no tomorrow!
I'll actually be taking a relative break in the editor for a little while to work on other projects elsewhere in my life and play other games. So you have some time to catch up

This scenario looks interesting and very promising. With the new triggers, you can really distinguish these civs' access to units and technologies, if you want to.

By the way, is the 20xx in your scenario description intentional or just a place-holder for a TBD year?

Filthydelphia Creations
Tristan & Iseult ~ 1st Place (tied), 2014 Historical Scenario Design Contest
City of Peace ~ 2nd Place, 2014 Minigame Competition
Dragon's Head, Serpent's Tail ~ 2nd Place, 2016 Defend the Spot Competition
Ragnar's Raids ~ 2nd Place, 2016 Historical Scenario Design Contest
Complete Campaign Collection

[This message has been edited by Filthydelphia (edited 01-22-2020 @ 08:52 PM).]

Lord Basse
posted 01-23-20 03:09 AM CT (US)     19 / 38       
It's going to take me a while to get up to thr 30 or so campaigns you've got out there, but I'll be working on it!
With the new triggers, you can really distinguish these civs' access to units and technologies, if you want to.
I will be doing some of this, though I'm unsure how far I'll go with it. There will be extra unique units for some of the players, at least, like Norse Swordsmen for the Danish rebels, and one of the city states will have a Xolotl Warrior renamed "Snapphane", the name of the historic 17-18th century pro-Danish rebels in the region.
By the way, is the 20xx in your scenario description intentional or just a place-holder for a TBD year?
It's a placeholder for now, although I have thought about just keeping it this way.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
Devious Dev
Official Professional Qualified Noob
(id: dragonslayermcmx)
posted 01-23-20 04:48 AM CT (US)     20 / 38       
Sure glad to hear that society will revert back to medieval warfare within this century
Lord Basse
posted 01-23-20 06:14 AM CT (US)     21 / 38       
With all these nukes lying around, it was just a matter of time.

The Swedish version of this will feature cars, Russian attack bears and possibly Katyusha rocket launchers (i.e. bombards with fast firing speed). It will probably not be as well balanced as the proper version, though.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
Lord Basse
posted 01-23-20 03:43 PM CT (US)     22 / 38       
And the map is done! Except for the oceans, but that barely counts. To celebrate, here are four new screenshots!

River sanctuary | Town of Kristianstad | On the road again | Southern Ridge with ruins

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
Julius999
Imposter
posted 01-23-20 05:30 PM CT (US)     23 / 38       
Hmm... insufficient detailing. Start over.

rewaider
Squire
posted 01-23-20 11:03 PM CT (US)     24 / 38       
Rotated jungle bushes mixed with lush GAIA trees, large emtpy patches of grass 1, with lots of broken roads among dirt 1... Oh, and tree patches with rocks nearby, with minimal use of low elevations.
In this case, I'd say that the confident/intentional lack of details is exactly what makes this "signature" style of map design stand out. Probably the best minimalist style of aok map designing to date
Kinda hard to resist placing every single kind of object avaliable everywhere tho
Tldr: looking good so far

The Fall of Hummaria -- Teaser [4.2] -- Project's Thread
Cavern Pirates -- The Treasure Hunt [4.6] -- Captain's Revenge
My Blacksmith

[This message has been edited by rewaider (edited 01-23-2020 @ 11:04 PM).]

HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 01-24-20 01:27 AM CT (US)     25 / 38       
I'm pretty sure Julius was being teasingly facetious

Sooooo...when shall we set up a game?

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Lord Basse
posted 01-24-20 05:09 AM CT (US)     26 / 38       
@Julius, I knew it. Some parts could have been better.

@rewaider, thank you! Though I must stress that the open grassland consists of grass 1-3 plus the new jungle variety, with occasional splotches of dirt, so I do spend some time on it!

@Sam, soon, hopefully! I have however run into a bug I had almost forgotten existed: that bridges placed with triggers cannot be walked on, and, conversely, that if you remove a bridge ships still can't sail where the bridge used to be. Is there any new way to get around this in DE? Asking people to save and reload the game in multiplayer is not really going to work.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
rewaider
Squire
posted 01-24-20 04:15 PM CT (US)     27 / 38       
Fair enough.
Also, forgot to include in the occasional "leaves" terrain nearby dirt patches for them to blend in better (something to do with their specific terrain brush, i guess) :P

EDIT: Small suggestion for the "Southern Ridge with ruins" screenshot. Change the damage value for some random walls more drastically. Not looking chaotic/destroyed/ruins-like enough. Specially cause there are too many corner-wall-type things intact.

The Fall of Hummaria -- Teaser [4.2] -- Project's Thread
Cavern Pirates -- The Treasure Hunt [4.6] -- Captain's Revenge
My Blacksmith

[This message has been edited by rewaider (edited 01-24-2020 @ 04:21 PM).]

Julius999
Imposter
posted 01-24-20 07:39 PM CT (US)     28 / 38       
I have however run into a bug I had almost forgotten existed: that bridges placed with triggers cannot be walked on, and, conversely, that if you remove a bridge ships still can't sail where the bridge used to be. Is there any new way to get around this in DE
Does the old method of starting with shallows terrain and having the bridge pieces be created/removed on top not work?

HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 01-25-20 03:52 AM CT (US)     29 / 38       
I believe that this is indeed the only solution.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Lord Basse
posted 01-25-20 10:13 AM CT (US)     30 / 38       
It does! Which begs the question: why have I not known about this method before?

One drawback is that ships can now sail straight across the bridge, but as stupid as it looks it might actually be preferable in terms of gameplay.

EDIT - Also, rewaider, good point about the walls!

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 01-25-2020 @ 11:11 AM).]

Lord Basse
posted 01-27-20 11:59 AM CT (US)     31 / 38       
Apart from some minor tweaks, this map is now finished! Would anyone be interested in playtesting this?

Sam, does sometime this weekend work for you?

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 01-27-20 12:40 PM CT (US)     32 / 38       
I could do Saturday morning/afternoon, anytime up until 16:00.

Edit: That's CET, I should clarify.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

[This message has been edited by HockeySam18 (edited 01-28-2020 @ 02:46 AM).]

Lord Basse
posted 01-31-20 11:13 AM CT (US)     33 / 38       
So, I have recorded the majority of the process of designing this scenario, about 17 hours in total. I hope to turn this into a single video at some point, but for now I am cutting out some select pieces and releasing them as a kind of speed design video series. Here is the first part, for anyone interested:

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
HockeySam18
Dúnadan
posted 02-01-20 02:36 AM CT (US)     34 / 38       
Very nice! Always good to see some more top-end DE content out there

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Charging_Knight
Squire
posted 02-01-20 11:06 AM CT (US)     35 / 38       
LordBasse,

Can you do a speed build of a Silk Road trading town like Kashgar or Khotan? Using the Tatar/Chinese/Arab buildings?

Domus Dulcis Domus --- Home Sweet Home...ZzZzZzZzZ
Lord Basse
posted 02-01-20 07:02 PM CT (US)     36 / 38       
Perhaps in the future! Right now I'm making speed builds out of the material I've captured from this process, and I want to make a big one that covers the whole scenario at some point. But if these videos get some views, I might start making some specifically for the videos with various themes.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
Lord Basse
posted 02-02-20 06:24 PM CT (US)     37 / 38       
Here's another design video from this scenario. I have another four in the pipeline, plus a longer one showing the making of the entire scenario.

Another one!

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 02-03-2020 @ 08:15 AM).]

Lord Basse
posted 03-17-20 02:00 PM CT (US)     38 / 38       
The scenario is now officially out!

I still want to do a few rounds of playtesting to iton out any potential balancing issues, but I figured I could just as well let people play it and hope for some feedback.

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||

[This message has been edited by Lord Basse (edited 03-17-2020 @ 02:02 PM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames