You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussion
Moderated by John the Late

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.1201 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussion » Are many people aware of the original Age of Empires 2 graphics?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Are many people aware of the original Age of Empires 2 graphics?
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 46 47 48  Next Page »
ELiTE TEUTONiC
Squire
posted 01-15-11 08:55 AM CT (US)         
I'm not sure if there are many long termers here (by long termers I mean original Age of Empires 2 fans who were around with its inception) but the game actually had different graphics to what you see in the final game. This version was scrapped, and to be honest with you I find the original graphics quite appealing. I will try and find the original magazine pictures and scan if for you.

Firm believer in micro-management.
Introducing one of the greatest 2D RTS Medieval mods, Sword & Arrow: European Wars

[This message has been edited by ELiTE TEUTONiC (edited 09-12-2011 @ 09:14 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Mahazona
Squire
posted 03-09-13 07:20 AM CT (US)     1176 / 1201       
One graphical error has always bothered me: why are Persian war elephants (and now, for that matter, Indian elephant archers) depicted with African, rather than Asian, elephants?

Compare images of African elephants
http://gifts.worldwildlife.org/gift-center/Images/large-species-photo/large-African-Elephant-photo.jpg
and Asian elephants
http://library.sandiegozoo.org/factsheets/asian_elephant/images/asian.jpg

Then look at the AoC/FE elephants
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121113144813/ageofforgottenempires/images/b/bc/Elephant_archer.jpg.
http://www.oocities.org/timessquare/bunker/3989/ele.gif
Those are clearly African elephants (larger ears, lower back, head slightly flat on top).

Now, anybody who has made even a light study of ancient military history knows that the elephants these civilizations used were Asian elephants (a smaller species of African elephant was used by the ancient Carthaginians, Egyptians, and Numidians, among others). A much more accurate image for Persian/Indian elephants would look something like this
https://lh3.ggpht.com/_P03vSy5h8pM/TBw1m3PP60I/AAAAAAAAAgs/u0k9m0obutU/s1600/War_Elephant_5.JPG
or this
https://thelosttreasurechest.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/sassanid-persian-cavalryman-and-a-war-elephant-during-the-wars-against-rome.jpg?w=666
Guess they just resized and used the elephant model from AOE.
ColdCanuck
Squire
(id: Coldviper)
posted 03-11-13 01:54 PM CT (US)     1177 / 1201       
Does anyone have any contact information for matt?
dnwq
Squire
posted 03-11-13 08:22 PM CT (US)     1178 / 1201       
Dude probably doesn't want to be harassed. He'll show up if he wants to.
BF_Tanks
Squire
posted 03-12-13 06:00 AM CT (US)     1179 / 1201       
Matt was the spearhead to get the HD made, and he left when he disagreed with something that the rest of the team wanted to do with the game.

So really, We should be apologising to matt for letting them buy our hearts with something he feels wasn't a good idea.

Proud Member of Black Forest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil - Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009
and The Seas of Egressa - Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
ColdCanuck
Squire
(id: Coldviper)
posted 03-12-13 07:37 AM CT (US)     1180 / 1201       
Nah, looks pretty good to me. I don't need unattainable perfection at all times. But I guess we'll see when the game gets made, perhaps he wanted to add more civs or something.
BF_Tanks
Squire
posted 03-12-13 07:44 AM CT (US)     1181 / 1201       
Was matt not the main-man when Ensemble were working on the games graphics and terrain blending?

Perhaps he wanted to add in new graphics and terrains or something.

Proud Member of Black Forest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil - Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009
and The Seas of Egressa - Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
Alexastor
AoEO Seraph
(id: Kastor)
posted 03-12-13 10:08 AM CT (US)     1182 / 1201       
Do you know anything we don't know, BF_Tanks, or are you just making guesses?

It looks more likely he had to go because he was too talkative here or because of personal reasons (as he isn't employed anywhere else nor did he come here to say goodbye at least).
Elite Raider
Squire
posted 03-12-13 12:10 PM CT (US)     1183 / 1201       
Really guys, the real world is not built on all this surmise. Relax and time will tell, as it always does.
Maffia
AoE3H Seraph
(id: fred_ernie)
posted 03-13-13 08:02 AM CT (US)     1184 / 1201       
It's also possible he just had a temporary contract at Hidden Path to work on AoKHD, but as Elite Raider said, baseless speculation is just that.

This month I have mostly been playing Zelda Breath of the Wild
Steam - Maffia GFWL - Maffia01 YouTube - HGMaffia Twitter - @HGMaffia
Age of Empires 3 Heaven Seraph

What is this life if, full of care, We have no time to stand and stare.
[This message hasn't been edited by fred_ernie (or Maffia) (not edited 12-29-2005 @ 09:57 AM).]
Pulkit
Squire
posted 03-13-13 09:30 AM CT (US)     1185 / 1201       
^ This. It is more likely he was hired for a short time for Knowledge Transfer, a most common business practice when a project is passed from one team to another.

Tales of Middle-Earth | Don't miss it
Poke
Squire
posted 03-14-13 03:55 AM CT (US)     1186 / 1201       
Matt was actually at Hidden Path to work on CS:GO though, you really can't just assume that his job there was to pass on info... though it's possible.
Pulkit
Squire
posted 03-15-13 01:13 AM CT (US)     1187 / 1201       
No one is assuming that; just that that is more likely than Matt being fired.

Basse
Squire
posted 04-05-13 01:28 PM CT (US)     1188 / 1201       
Matt Pritchard is in the credits of aoe2 HD
John the Late
Knight
posted 04-05-13 02:31 PM CT (US)     1189 / 1201       
^Are the credits the same as the AoK/TC ones?

Or maybe they just put the original ones behind the new ones (I don't know, haven't bought) and then he is in of course, as he was in the original credits.
Dead_End
Cavalier
posted 04-05-13 02:43 PM CT (US)     1190 / 1201       
The credits list him under Hidden Path.
John the Late
Knight
posted 04-05-13 02:52 PM CT (US)     1191 / 1201       
Strepto
Squire
posted 04-05-13 07:56 PM CT (US)     1192 / 1201       
My speculation is that matt broke off with the developers of this game. It seemed from his comments here that he had a vision of what to edit, and the ability to do it well. Matt is known as Matt "The Optimizer" Pritchard on the interview on this very site. Seems weird that he would slip these performance issues. There is obviously someone that was not fit for the task that did the development on this (unless unprecented support) "cashgrab" from Microsoft and I think Matt_P would have given the game more love.

Most of the features that have changed is for the worse, except maybe the new water/ground engine. (Wich it's possible Matt was involved with, cause he was involved in the original ground engine)

If Matt really was involved im actually a little dissapointed, from what he seemed to hope to be able to do. But im more dissapointed in the development cycle from MS and the "no connection to the community (or reality)" development style.

(And people on the steam forums are saying that I cant complain because the game officialy launches on the 9. April. That is 2 weekdays. I would really like to meet the genious that fixes all these bugs in 2 days)

~Edited the post a little bit

[This message has been edited by Strepto (edited 04-05-2013 @ 08:22 PM).]

Pulkit
Squire
posted 04-05-13 09:08 PM CT (US)     1193 / 1201       
Matt "The Optimizer" Pritchard
Coincidentally, that's also how he's named in the Credits section of AoE2 HD under the Hidden Path Entertainment team!

Strepto
Squire
posted 04-05-13 09:29 PM CT (US)     1194 / 1201       
Actually, this history of this product goes back to 2000 - Matt Pritchard (mattp) desperately wanted to do an official patch for the game but there weren't resources to test it and send it out to the community. He'd been carrying a torch for that patch for 13 years - he was talking about it in the fan community, that got overheard by Microsoft, we started talking about it. After we heard they were interested not just a port, but updating the product and adding some community features we were all on board. One of the original developers and a whole lot of dedicated fans keeping the game alive despite all the technical challenges made it possible. A bunch of old and new fans buying the game will keep it alive and hopefully growing over time.
Quote from the reddit AMA http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1br1cx/we_are_the_age_of_empires_ii_hd_development_team/c998hjo

I see that as Matt was not on the team. But I might be wrong
anterior2
Scenario Design Expert
posted 05-04-13 04:29 AM CT (US)     1195 / 1201       
So what happened to him then?

StormComing (to me): "Seems like you're way under-ranked"

Check out my series of guides for the scenario editor in the link below! | Best Otto TR score

The definitive collection of my scenarios, along with my scenario editor walkthrough, recorded games, and much much more!
makabro
Squire
posted 05-04-13 08:18 PM CT (US)     1196 / 1201       
We want him to keep answering our questions!!
makabro
Squire
posted 05-29-13 10:19 PM CT (US)     1197 / 1201       
Hey guys, did you know about this beta version? I believe is a screenshot of the Beta 12

Really nice!!
anterior2
Scenario Design Expert
posted 11-06-13 04:20 AM CT (US)     1198 / 1201       
I don't think he is comming back.

StormComing (to me): "Seems like you're way under-ranked"

Check out my series of guides for the scenario editor in the link below! | Best Otto TR score

The definitive collection of my scenarios, along with my scenario editor walkthrough, recorded games, and much much more!
Charlie I
Squire
posted 11-16-13 09:30 PM CT (US)     1199 / 1201       
I found in the Internet that Matt Pritchard is currently working in another Game Studio called Z2 If I'm not mistaken. But if somebody knows better than me, please feel free to correct me.
Mahazona
Squire
posted 11-17-13 00:23 AM CT (US)     1200 / 1201       
Im just curious are there any usable beta female villager graphics.
Felipe Vidal
Squire
posted 11-25-13 06:03 PM CT (US)     1201 / 1201       
He was kidnapped by... UFOs (hehe, just a stupid joke for the afternoon)...
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 46 47 48  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames