You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussion
Moderated by John the Late

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.1201 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussion » Are many people aware of the original Age of Empires 2 graphics?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Are many people aware of the original Age of Empires 2 graphics?
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 28 29 30 31 32 ··· 40 ··· 48  Next Page »
ELiTE TEUTONiC
Squire
posted 01-15-11 08:55 AM CT (US)         
I'm not sure if there are many long termers here (by long termers I mean original Age of Empires 2 fans who were around with its inception) but the game actually had different graphics to what you see in the final game. This version was scrapped, and to be honest with you I find the original graphics quite appealing. I will try and find the original magazine pictures and scan if for you.

Firm believer in micro-management.
Introducing one of the greatest 2D RTS Medieval mods, Sword & Arrow: European Wars

[This message has been edited by ELiTE TEUTONiC (edited 09-12-2011 @ 09:14 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Draconian Devil
Squire
(id: DraconainDevil)
posted 01-29-12 00:38 AM CT (US)     726 / 1201       
Perhaps we could have animated water, using units!!
Say we make an eyecandy, and give it a graphic which just gives waves in a direction.

Then make the random maps, create it only on water!

And thus we can have waves on water(not moving water )

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()
()()()()()()DRACONIANDEVIL()()()()()()
()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()
Keisari Tapsa
Smith
posted 01-29-12 01:53 AM CT (US)     727 / 1201       
Just set the animated eye candy / fish type to be on top of every water tile so it works everywhere. You can have a maximum of 30 units on top of a terrain, and you can set their occurrence randomness. See the terrain unit boxes in terrain tab in AGE 2.

Advanced Genie Editor
Follow coding here and here.
local boi
Squire
(id: dragon14)
posted 01-29-12 02:03 AM CT (US)     728 / 1201       
wouldn't that involve AI, thus SUPER LAG?

USA
katsup or mustard
Keisari Tapsa
Smith
posted 01-29-12 02:24 AM CT (US)     729 / 1201       
What does it have to do with AIs.
If you want I can make a demo dat mod about this.

Check this out:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/trd60o7upbe36qu/TerrainMod.zip
When you place shallow or normal water, fish gets automatically attached over it. Also try out desert and dirt and see what I did.

Advanced Genie Editor
Follow coding here and here.

[This message has been edited by Keisari Tapsa (edited 01-29-2012 @ 03:23 AM).]

Hell Sinky
Squire
(id: Commander Scipio)
posted 01-29-12 02:02 PM CT (US)     730 / 1201       
Hey Matt, I was just wondering (and Im not sure if this has been asked before so sorry if it has): Is there any reason that in single player the game automatically goes to the postgame report, whereas in multiplayer you are able to view the battlefield afterwards?

Thanks

"Scipio is more charismatic than you are." -Rocking Doom
"Scipio ... narcissistic ... overly arrogant cuckold ... noble souls and gentlemen, ... spare a second ... basic and ennui existence ... feeble pleasure ... his life more bearable ... monotony of stoic reality." *-Scud
"SCIPIO YOU SUN BITCH" -TOAO_Roland
local boi
Squire
(id: dragon14)
posted 01-29-12 02:56 PM CT (US)     731 / 1201       
I heard the word /units to my mind jumped to Ai lag, isnt it nice?

USA
katsup or mustard
dAmAtA_cHiP
Squire
posted 01-30-12 08:48 PM CT (US)     732 / 1201       
Typhox:

I could be wrong, but I think the obstruction manager is what is described in these two articles by Dave Pottinger. I think A* is used to find the initial path and the obstruction manager dealt with how to execute that path while dealing with obstructions from other units or buildings.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3313/coordinated_unit_movement.php
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3314/implementing_coordinated_movement.php
ES_MattP
VIP
posted 01-31-12 01:57 AM CT (US)     733 / 1201       
The obstruction manager is just concerned with the area and shapes on the map occupied by everything. Think of it as the selection circles of every single thing in the world all at once.

Other systems (such as movement and pathfindng) will query against the obstructions to find out questions like "can this unit pass in a line between these other objects" "does this new proposed object position intersect or collide with anything?"
dnwq
Squire
posted 01-31-12 04:01 PM CT (US)     734 / 1201       
Any feedback from MS_Ryz0n regarding Age of Empires II, ES_MattP?

I hope it isn't stuck in bureaucratic limbo again...

[This message has been edited by dnwq (edited 01-31-2012 @ 04:02 PM).]

ES_MattP
VIP
posted 01-31-12 11:11 PM CT (US)     735 / 1201       
I can't comment on anything regarding MS right now. Be patient everyone.
MartiNZ
Squire
posted 02-01-12 07:01 PM CT (US)     736 / 1201       
LOL so I guess that means @dnwq: yes it is in bureaucratic limbo ... but that is the only way forward, so we have to see it as a Good Thing !
ES_MattP
VIP
posted 02-18-12 06:34 PM CT (US)     737 / 1201       
Commander Scipio > The reason a single player games goes automatically to the postgame was just an arbitrary choice on the developer's part.

dnwq > One thing to remember is that MS_Ryz0n is the AoE 3 community manager, but that's is the limit of his job. Is something was going on, he still probably wouldn't be aware of it, and defiantly not in a position to speak about it.
TheMazzarin
Squire
posted 02-20-12 07:16 PM CT (US)     738 / 1201       
Hello ES_MattP!

I have a question for you and you are probably are the most indicate person to answer me (since you have a lot of experience when we talk about AOE II development and beta releases).

I saw a video a long time ago in youtube about a gameplay demonstration from two German guys, (idk why I done that) the video was old and I can't understand anything in German. We probably have a german user in the Heaven community that may explain the dialogue in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfIemcP647Q

The video was a little boring, multiplayer game between 2 guys. So I started to watch and started to think:

"Wow, strange game style, the both guys seems very new in Aok (sure they are new in AOK dumb mazzarin, they made this video in August and AOK got released in september (99), this is a demo version lol"

And:

"Tons of militia and villagers, they seems to comment abouta rec game in german only, hmmm... BUTWAIT, is this a corn and not a meat in the stockpile icon? looool. And look, the peasant woman have bigger breasts in her avatar hmm~ ok probably the trial got some things very different from the final release, that's all anLOL another beta building that got dumped before the complete AOK release, the dock are a "bigger" tent hehehe, a map designer would like to use that maybe. And isn't ugly at all."

There are another changes, like the Briton player houses (I liked then too, they are "different" but they still pretty, map makers could do a nice eye candy work with then if they had any chance to do that :]) and another minor details (the exausted farms, the castle age arabic dock, strange knights and archers, etc...) So when I finished the video, I wondered "So, the trial AOK version can be fun, let's check out that!" but when I downloaded that http://www.microsoft.com/games/age2/downloads.htm#trial I discovered that the trial is tottaly different from what I saw in the video, so the video is from a beta release! (I'm a genius /sarcasm).

My question is: "If it is a video about a beta playing experience from two players so (not official testers or Ensemble workers are the guys from the video I hope), where we can download this Beta stuff? It is possible to pick up the beta content and insert in the Aok editor? (without doing modding work and data modification?)

I'm new here, so sorry if everybody already know this video and the questions that I asked are already answered. (And sorry for the bad English, foreign dude here :P)
Dead_End
Cavalier
posted 02-21-12 02:44 AM CT (US)     739 / 1201       
Mazzarin, I think I can answer that.
Phatfish has compiled an extensive library of alpha and beta versions of the game. You can find those here.
TheMazzarin
Squire
posted 02-21-12 06:04 AM CT (US)     740 / 1201       
Thanks Dead_End! Nice website with a lot of interesting screenshots. I will also download the playable alpha.
But maybe the version in this video that I posted is a different and rare beta/alpha that only few people in the world had played? :P

Let's see what Matt can reveal to us hehe
Thompsoncs
Squire
posted 02-21-12 07:45 AM CT (US)     741 / 1201       
It looks like those two were playing a very late version, almost before release. The castle graphic and many other graphics are already as in the final release. I did however notice the knights and some buildings having the beta/alpha graphics. I'm not german, but know a bit of german. Combined with the video I think it should be quite easy to know what they are talking about.
Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Cavalier
posted 02-23-12 09:10 PM CT (US)     742 / 1201       
Hey, guys. Really sorry to just drop into a thread like this, but I've had a similar issue with early graphics on the Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds side of the fence, and not many people look our way anymore.

We've been putting together a pretty extensive mod for GB for quite some time, and had a huge interest in implementing some of GB's early visuals. I contacted several of the members of the original development team, but only one of them responded to me, and he only had a small amount unused building sprites.

I'd like to ask if ES_MattP had any insight on the development of SWGB, or would happen to know anywhere where early visuals or features of the game might still exist?

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod
ES_MattP
VIP
posted 02-23-12 11:54 PM CT (US)     743 / 1201       
We (Ensemble) had very little to do with the actual production of SW:BG.

Basically, we made a drop of the GENIE engine that had all the AoE/AoK specific stuff stripped out and shipped it, along with some art tools to Lucas Arts. We met briefly with a couple of their people to go over how the tools and engine worked. After the handoff, I only recall answering a small number of technical questions from them.

For the most part, they were able to take the stuff and run with it. I know they set up an impressive asset production pipeline and made everything in just 9 months or so, as most of the people working on SW:GB were artists and designers. They only added a couple things programming wise (like the power-grids).
Dalv
Squire
posted 03-17-12 04:23 PM CT (US)     744 / 1201       
Recently I just found out that Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 are to receive an overhaul. here is the link:
http://www.baldursgate.com/news/2012/03/15/announcing-baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition/

I'm both happy and sad. BG2 is among my favorite games and what makes this even more perfect is that it's not going to be one of those 3D remakes, but built on the same Infinity engine, updated, thus remaining true to its hardcore fans. This is exactly what I ever wanted with my all time favorite, AOE2, and I'm sad that Matt could not succeed on his quest, that BG2 is another example of how AOE2 should have been treated as well. What makes it even more sad is the people in MS with the rights to it, not having any respect for their inherited goldies (because there's no one there from the old times, as Matt said), while others update their oldies even today. Instead we've got a very commercial, trendy and mediocre title, AoEO.
Cohort_Crusher
Squire
(id: paladinslaughter)
posted 03-21-12 05:34 AM CT (US)     745 / 1201       
This thread may be of interest.

Also, the user who made the thread (Ancient Warrior) seems to have a huge collection of the AoE/AoK alpha/beta stuff, including 3 versions of the games themselves, and many SLP and DRS files. She once told me that she was also making a new standalone game where she would incorporate many Alpha/Beta features. I have her on my Facebook profile and could try to ask her for more information, but I fear that she wants to keep alot of this stuff for herself because she wants to keep this as rare as possible.

''This is madness!''
''Madness? THIS IS HOLLAND!!!''
''What's the difference?''

The 300 Dutchmen will fight in the shade of an oil fountain..

[This message has been edited by Cohort_Crusher (edited 03-21-2012 @ 07:39 AM).]

Filipus
Squire
posted 04-06-12 03:32 PM CT (US)     746 / 1201       
Any update Matt?
ES_MattP
VIP
posted 04-06-12 10:28 PM CT (US)     747 / 1201       
I hope to have more to say soon that will be of interest to the community, but for right now there is nothing I can comment on.
dnwq
Squire
posted 04-07-12 08:52 PM CT (US)     748 / 1201       
Alexastor
AoEO Seraph
(id: Kastor)
posted 04-08-12 04:34 AM CT (US)     749 / 1201       
I'm keeping my fingers crossed
Dead_End
Cavalier
posted 04-09-12 11:05 AM CT (US)     750 / 1201       
Forgive me if this has been brought up before, but I was wondering why the so called 'pile of stone' (after being unlocked) is found under the Other-tab and the 'pile of food/gold/wood' are put in the units-tab. Was this just a mistake, or is there some logic behind this?
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 28 29 30 31 32 ··· 40 ··· 48  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames