You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussion
Moderated by John the Late

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.137 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussion » Weekend Warriors: Calendar and Discussion Thread
Bottom
Topic Subject:Weekend Warriors: Calendar and Discussion Thread
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 6  Next Page »
Leif Ericson
Seraph Emeritus
posted 02-04-13 02:53 PM CT (US)         

Wait, what? Weekend Warriors? What's that? Click here to find out.

Hey all Weekend Warriors! In light of the several missed Weekend Warrior parties in the last several months, I am going to try a new approach. Instead of a new thread each time, we'll use this stickied thread. This thread will include a calendar of the next few Weekend Warrior parties so you all can know when they'll occur. You can always assume that a Weekend Warrior party will occur on the scheduled date unless I post an announcement in this thread.

This will also allow us to create a rotation to easily alternate between clients and/or mods if you guys want. That way, you all can play at least part of the time if one of the game clients doesn't work for you. If you have any suggestions, make a post! This is a discussion thread as well.

Without further ado, the calendar:

June 8th - Weekend Warriors XXXVI - GameRanger - 22:00 GMT
June 22nd - Weekend Warriors XXXVII - Voobly
July 6th - Weekend Warriors XXXVIII - GameRanger
July 20th - Weekend Warriors XXXIX - Voobly
August 3rd - Weekend Warriors XL - GameRanger

Rule #1:

We will have fun. It is required that you enjoy yourself. Otherwise, what are you here for?

Rule #2:

Follow Rule #1.

• What: AoKH Weekend Warriors - fun-filled multiplayer hangout with various maps
  • Who: Anyone from AoKH. If your dog has an account, your dog can play (How does it use a keyboard?)
  • Where: See the calendar to find out where it's located. When it's at Voobly it will be in the Agincourt Lobby.
  • When: (see the bolded date in the calendar for the next party date)
  • Why: Why not? (refer to rule #1)
  • How: See Getting Started Playing Online

PS: the password is HUNTER

Champions:

To join, just post your Voobly name like my name below. Those who have taken part in previous Weekend Warriors battles are named below (Voobly names in bold):

Leif Ericson Leif_Ericson
    Barbarossa89 Barbarossa89
    ChickenWrap ChickenWrap
    Commander Scipio CommanderScipio
    Dannflor Dannflor
    Donnie Donnie
    dukla dukla
    Jatayu jatayu
    maximusSVK SunflowerS
    Mayank Sharma BF_Stroke
    NowhereT NowhereT
    sly_guy [TOAO]_Keith
    TOAO_DaVe [AU]AgeofStoneWalls
    Offwo200 TheNoobScripter
    Andrew_V Marsh_
    ww_Lord Farquaad B00ger [wW]Myst_
    Cysion Cysion
    Tatsuo Tetsuo_Shima
    panel pana_cotel
    Lord Basse Lord_Basse
    Xingjianma [TOAO]Mr_Xing_
    Sammy Princeton TheImperialCzar
    den cekke 1302
    Draconian Devil
    rmcoo rmcoo
    Felix Waters FelixWaters
    Devestator Dragonmcmx
    Possidon Possidon
    Mithril Knight Mithrik
    LtSurge LtSurge
    Tolack Tolack
    SaulTheGreat IronBusta
    legosammy legosammy
    WRATHOFNORRIS WRATHOFNORRIS
    Impeached Impeached
    John the Late John_the_Late
    Macaroniwolf Macaroniwolf

If you agree with these main motives then SIGN UP:

1) I LOVE AOKH! IT IS BY FAR THE MOST FUN AGE OF EMPIRES COMMUNITY! Not to mention better than any other online game...right?

2) I'm getting Fiber Optics tomorrow and I'm itching to test it out!

3) My girlfriend wants me to go for a meal with her parents but I love AOK more and is a decent excuse to get out of it.

So all you peoples of AoKH, who's with us? Put down your Xbox controllers, TV Remotes, and Knitting Materials, pick up your swords and come and fight for GLORRYRYYYAARRAAAAA*cough**hack**cough**phlegm*.

~`o~|\  Join the fresh and exciting AI Ladder for its fourth season!
     `  |_\
           |    Learn the joy of AI scripting in my guide: The World of AI Scripting
    ______|______
     \        /
       .....Hinga Dinga Durgen! - SpongeBob
      `-=<.__.>=-

[This message has been edited by Leif Ericson (edited 06-06-2013 @ 06:06 PM).]

• AuthorReplies:
    Leif Ericson
    Seraph Emeritus
    posted 05-02-13 03:40 AM CT (US)     76 / 137       
    In case you all haven't seen the updated thread or the news post yet, we have a Weekend Warriors this weekend. We might do a Weekend Warriors at Steam next time. I would have scheduled WW for Steam this weekend if I wasn't worried that it would be a last minute announcement.

 `  |_\
    ______|______
     \        /
      `-=<.__.>=-
    John the Late
    Knight
    posted 05-02-13 09:59 AM CT (US)     77 / 137       
    This sucks, I am only at home every second weekend, always when there is no Weekend Warriors hehe. :P
    Leif Ericson
    Seraph Emeritus
    posted 05-04-13 04:41 PM CT (US)     78 / 137       
    I have a room open, although I'll be away for a couple minutes. Come play!

 `  |_\
    ______|______
     \        /
      `-=<.__.>=-
    Leif Ericson
    Seraph Emeritus
    posted 05-04-13 05:45 PM CT (US)     79 / 137       
    Well, since this week's Weekend Warriors was a failure, we'll try again next week instead of two weeks from now.

 `  |_\
    ______|______
     \        /
      `-=<.__.>=-
    Leif Ericson
    Seraph Emeritus
    posted 05-07-13 10:42 AM CT (US)     80 / 137       
    Since there's interest in playing on Steam, let's have a poll: Who would like to play WW on Steam this weekend?

 `  |_\
    ______|______
     \        /
      `-=<.__.>=-
    TOAO_DaVe
    Squire
    (id: Tonto_DaVe)
    posted 05-10-13 06:07 PM CT (US)     81 / 137       
    Steam for me. Voobly is ok too.

Signed,
    DaVe.
    Sebastien
    Dark Samurai
    posted 05-11-13 04:27 AM CT (US)     82 / 137       
    I'm having trouble with the steam version. It's just really slow and annoying and I don't know why. The laptop has a 2gb graphics card, i5 2.67ghz. Could be the ram (which at the moment till I upgrade is only 2gb) but not sure.

Voobly sounds good to me.
    Basse
    Squire
    posted 05-11-13 06:12 AM CT (US)     83 / 137       
    I'm having trouble with the steam version. It's just really slow and annoying and I don't know why. The laptop has a 2gb graphics card, i5 2.67ghz. Could be the ram (which at the moment till I upgrade is only 2gb) but not sure.
    The HD Edition is quite bad optimized still. It's not your computers fault!
    Sebastien
    Dark Samurai
    posted 05-11-13 09:41 AM CT (US)     84 / 137       
    Yea, I was very disappointed with it. The delay in getting unit commands is really annoying. Also, the actual terrain placements are slow as well.

The water looks ok, but the cliffs and farms are really awful. It seems this has really been rushed. Also, to go from system requirements so low, to now (and the fact it doesn't run properly)...is really not worth the additions.

Give me back standard AOK with Userpatch any day.
    sly_guy
    Squire
    posted 05-11-13 10:33 AM CT (US)     85 / 137       
    I really enjoy the steam version, provided the games are fast (<30mins). Especially in bigger, more even games, it gets absurdly laggy, although that was sometimes a problem with the other versions as well.

- ک

Ladies and Gentlemen, wear sunscreen. If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be IT. The long term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience.

This message has been brought to you by procrastination and the letters K and V.
    dukla
    Squire
    posted 05-11-13 03:53 PM CT (US)     86 / 137       
    I vote Voobz
    MangyTheMangodel
    Squire
    posted 05-11-13 04:37 PM CT (US)     87 / 137       
    I vote no on Steam! :P

Now known as untiedswan, formerly _Chiron_ and MangyTheMangodel
    Sebastien
    Dark Samurai
    posted 05-11-13 04:47 PM CT (US)     88 / 137       
    TOAO_DaVe
    Squire
    posted 05-14-13 05:01 AM CT (US)     89 / 137       
    I can understand having lag issues with AoC HD at launch but I haven't had any since the first patch they released almost a month ago, although I understand others still report some computer lag issues. In fact, I now get worse performance and can't stand the mouse sensitivity in the normal AoC.

In terms of the UI and graphics, AoC HD is now well ahead of standard AoC. Add on the texture packs in the workshop and I don't really have much reason to stick with regular AoC; I just wish more had switched over by now.

Signed,
    DaVe.
    Basse
    Squire
    posted 05-14-13 06:01 AM CT (US)     90 / 137       
    I can understand having lag issues with AoC HD at launch but I haven't had any since the first patch they released almost a month ago, although I understand others still report some computer lag issues. In fact, I now get worse performance and can't stand the mouse sensitivity in the normal AoC.

In terms of the UI and graphics, AoC HD is now well ahead of standard AoC. Add on the texture packs in the workshop and I don't really have much reason to stick with regular AoC; I just wish more had switched over by now.
    I completely agree on this. There are still thousands and thousands of players still playing on GameRanger and Voobly.
    Leif Ericson
    Seraph Emeritus
    posted 05-16-13 01:12 AM CT (US)     91 / 137       
    Sorry about last weekend. We will be playing this weekend, although I likely won't be able to be there longer than the first hour and a half.

 `  |_\
    ______|______
     \        /
      `-=<.__.>=-
    Gastropod
    Squire
    (id: Tyretian)
    posted 05-16-13 12:14 PM CT (US)     92 / 137       
    I think the reason people still play on gameranger and voobly is that people don't want to have to pay to get a game they already have.
    Basse
    Squire
    posted 05-16-13 12:39 PM CT (US)     93 / 137       
    I think the reason people still play on gameranger and voobly is that people don't want to have to pay to get a game they pirated
    FTFY
    TOAO_Imperial_5
    Squire
    (id: DDRMAX2)
    posted 05-16-13 06:16 PM CT (US)     94 / 137       
    I think the reason people still play on gameranger and voobly is that people don't want to have to pay to get a game they already have.
    That's a pretty greedy attitude IMO, you paid cash for a game that came out back in 1999, that you're still playing after 13-14 years. You sank countless hours into it (by now most veterans are probably in the tens of thousands of hours) and you won't give the devs another $20 for an updated version that now runs much much better than the original? Buy the guys a beer or two for creating and now maintaining your hobby for the past decade-and-a-half, eh?

==============
    | Imperial_5 |
    ==============
    | Proud Member of TOAO Clan |
    | Find me on AoE2HD: TOAO_Fano |

[This message has been edited by TOAO_Imperial_5 (edited 05-16-2013 @ 06:17 PM).]

aoe_scout
    Squire
    posted 05-16-13 08:47 PM CT (US)     95 / 137       
    No offense, but I have to disagree. First of all you don't give your money to the real developers of the game - Ensemble Studios, as they don't exist (and they would never release a game in such state!). Second, the game is not worthed 20$, because it's only slightly polished, but have more bugs than the original (+ all original bugs unfixed). Also, some of their changes are for the worse (enough to mention the ugly Farms and fire), even the new menu graphics are too blurry and look strange (no transition). Not to mention the game have low FPS for unknown reasons. If it wasn't for Steam and Steam Workshop, the game would have been failure. Especially considering that we have UserPatch, which is made by fans without the source code! Personally, the HD version reminds me too much of what it should have been, but it's not. I can only hope they will improve it significantly.

UPatch HD - the unofficial (HD) patch for Age of Empires: The Rise of Rome - HD resolution, HD quality interface graphics, hundreds of bug fixes, new gameplay options and many other enhancements.
    --- Download here (version 1.1 Release 3).
    --- For more information visit the site.

[This message has been edited by aoe_scout (edited 05-16-2013 @ 08:50 PM).]

TOAO_Imperial_5
    Squire
    (id: DDRMAX2)
    posted 05-17-13 01:50 AM CT (US)     96 / 137       
    No offense, but I have to disagree. First of all you don't give your money to the real developers of the game - Ensemble Studios, as they don't exist (and they would never release a game in such state!). Second, the game is not worthed 20$, because it's only slightly polished, but have more bugs than the original (+ all original bugs unfixed). Also, some of their changes are for the worse (enough to mention the ugly Farms and fire), even the new menu graphics are too blurry and look strange (no transition). Not to mention the game have low FPS for unknown reasons. If it wasn't for Steam and Steam Workshop, the game would have been failure. Especially considering that we have UserPatch, which is made by fans without the source code! Personally, the HD version reminds me too much of what it should have been, but it's not. I can only hope they will improve it significantly.
    Since the 2.3 patch the majority of the bugs have been taken care of. Can you tell me what bugs you are experiencing? Aside from a little lag here and there (which is also quite prominent in the original game) the game actually runs better (and looks better thanks to workshop mods as well).

There's also no hassle in setting it up, just install and play, no need to patch the game with community-made fixes which adds an extra layer of depth for the average person. Anybody can just install and start playing multiplayer, Steam assures that you're all on the same patch so you never have to worry about manually downloading any additional patches, and the steam workshop keeps a steady flow of new content by introducing textures and other adjustments of increasingly higher quality.

In addition, since the lobbies are done through steam there's no need to be troubleshooting connection issues by forwarding ports or any of that non-sense anymore, this was one of the major deterrents when I was trying to play on voobly/gameranger, I know how to forward my ports just fine but having to walk through all of my friends on how to do just so we could start a game was infuriating.

Don't get me wrong, UserPatch is great and has kept the community alive until now, the majority of old school players are still on voobly. However I don't honestly see the player base growing any larger without the help of the HD version, hell, I believe it already has more concurrent users than voobly ever had, I believe that eventually the dev team behind AoE2HD will make the game irresistibly better than its 13 year old counterpart. I don't see why people aren't willing to support them.

==============
    | Imperial_5 |
    ==============
    | Proud Member of TOAO Clan |
    | Find me on AoE2HD: TOAO_Fano |
    Dead_End
    Cavalier
    posted 05-17-13 02:37 AM CT (US)     97 / 137       
    As far as I'm concerned, the team at Hidden Path did an excellent job at updating the game to the standards we've come to expect from online games these last couple of years.

As was already pointed out, in the old days playing online often required an extensive knowledge of network configuration. Skills most players simply did not have. If anything, playing the game through Steam is allowing an entirely new group of users to try out their luck online.

In stark contrast to the early years of the game, Steam allows for easy use of patches. The focus used to be on large patches. Which is great in theory, but it often meant you had to wait a considerable time for small bugs to finally be resolved in a major patch-release. (If they were resolved at all. As no official patch has been released since 1.0c, the community had to step in, fixing the problems, but often creating new ones where they went.)

[This message has been edited by Dead_End (edited 05-17-2013 @ 07:34 AM).]

TOAO_DaVe
    Squire
    posted 05-17-13 06:42 AM CT (US)     98 / 137       
    Yeppers.

In addition to the improvements to the game with the new version, it has also, according to aoe2stats.com, been played by over unique 187,000 users and consequently has brought new life and further longevity to a game that was well into its twilight years.

Again a shoutout to MattP and the rest of Hidden Path for all that they've done so far for the game and community.

Edit:

First of all you don't give your money to the real developers of the game - Ensemble Studios, as they don't exist (and they would never release a game in such state!).

Wow. ES_MattP as he is known on AoKH, originally worked on AoC at ES and because of his love for the game and the support of others, has been able to re-release the game with his current employer Hidden Path, and generated a new fanbase as above. Show some respect for these people.

I can not believe people who love this game and its community are unwilling to shell out less than 20 dollars for the new edition.

Signed,
    DaVe.

[This message has been edited by TOAO_DaVe (edited 05-17-2013 @ 06:50 AM).]

Gastropod
    Squire
    (id: Tyretian)
    posted 05-17-13 10:34 AM CT (US)     99 / 137       
    What improvements does the HD version get, other than slightly changed graphics and easier multiplayer?
    Basse
    Squire
    posted 05-17-13 10:41 AM CT (US)     100 / 137       
    What improvements does the HD version get, other than slightly changed graphics and easier multiplayer?
    That + Steam Workshop
    « Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 6  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames