You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Mod Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, John the Late

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.695 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Mod Design and Discussion » Introducing Advanced Genie Editor 3 with Language DLL Editing
Bottom
Topic Subject:Introducing Advanced Genie Editor 3 with Language DLL Editing
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 ··· 10 ··· 20  Next Page »
Keisari Tapsa
Smith
posted 01-25-13 03:34 PM CT (US)         
Finally you can edit language files in the Advanced Genie Editor.
Unfortunately, the library is broken and too complex for me to fix.
You can edit language files directly from the boxes which show lines from them.
The changes are stored to the base language file and if expansion files have data, they'll be wiped out.
There is an option to store changes to the latest expansion.
It should be possible to use any line between 0 and 65535 or maybe even more?

Here you can download it:
http://aok.heavengames.com/blacksmith/showfile.php?fileid=11002

This was all possible with C library by Apre:
https://github.com/apreiml/pcrio

Advanced Genie Editor
Follow coding here and here.

[This message has been edited by Keisari Tapsa (edited 06-14-2018 @ 04:10 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
John the Late
Knight
posted 01-28-13 07:47 AM CT (US)     36 / 695       
This is not good... But I guess if I change the palette, a lot of other things would lose their colour, too... I originally didn't intend to replace purple (there is an altered palette file in the blacksmit) but grey or teal, which are used by a lot more graphics than purple.
AFFA the Cleric
Squire
posted 01-28-13 01:59 PM CT (US)     37 / 695       
I try to add new strings wiyh AGE 3 but not work... Can someone kindly give me a step by step tutorial so that I can understand?

Thank you so much!
Rambit
Squire
posted 01-28-13 02:12 PM CT (US)     38 / 695       
Put a new string number in the box you want to change, put the text in the box below. It is really that simple. However it does seem to take a minute to update the name on the unit list if it is a new string, but it does work.
Keisari Tapsa
Smith
posted 01-28-13 02:16 PM CT (US)     39 / 695       
I think if "all civs" is selected then it should copy it to all the civs in the new window.
For your purpose you should deselect "All civs" and use auto-copy settings instead (excluding graphics won't work until I fix it). All civs is meant to copy from and to all civs. Graphics in auto-copy also get copied from and to all civs.
When copying a unit from one window to the other - If the unit references graphics that do not exist in the new window it will crash.
I think it copied graphics from civs that don't exist or over civs that don't exist.

As a fix, there will be a warning and nonexistent civs will get the data from civ 1. Civs that aren't in the destination data will be discarded.

Btw, new release coming soon. I already finished the language editing. Maybe these civ fixes and then release.

Advanced Genie Editor
Rambit
Squire
posted 01-28-13 02:23 PM CT (US)     40 / 695       
I think it copied graphics from civs that don't exist or over civs that don't exist.
No, the window that I copied from had 18 civs where as the one I pasted to had 21.
Keisari Tapsa
Smith
posted 01-28-13 02:35 PM CT (US)     41 / 695       
No, the window that I copied from had 18 civs where as the one I pasted to had 21.
So AGE copied data from God knows where it thought the civs 18-20 were (nowhere of course, so some unknown data). They probably messed up something that caused a crash.

The pasted civs 18-20 probably had totally incorrect damage graphic, attack, armor and command counts.

Advanced Genie Editor

[This message has been edited by Keisari Tapsa (edited 01-28-2013 @ 02:36 PM).]

Jan dc
Squire
(id: Den cekke)
posted 01-28-13 02:36 PM CT (US)     42 / 695       
Hey Keisari, is it possible to have different icons for one building for each building set?
Keisari Tapsa
Smith
posted 01-28-13 02:40 PM CT (US)     43 / 695       
I guess it is.

Advanced Genie Editor
Jan dc
Squire
posted 01-28-13 03:07 PM CT (US)     44 / 695       
Yeah I figured it out, it just didn't work at first because I mixed up some buildings with the same name.
John the Late
Knight
posted 01-28-13 03:14 PM CT (US)     45 / 695       
I found a bug: When you select multiple units and hit the "Copy" button (to copy your changes to the other civs) the graphics can get really f*cked up. Even though I had "Including graphics" unchecked, all civs' units except the one I was currently editing (Gaia) had kind of random graphics chosen instead of the usual ones, even those that were not affected by the copy. (I only copied the changes I made to all building buldings ("C 3," in the search box), but all units were... screwed.) Luckily I had a made a backup yesterday and could copy all graphics via the S Copy. Other data apart from icons and graphics (all graphics) was not changed.
AFFA the Cleric
Squire
posted 01-28-13 03:15 PM CT (US)     46 / 695       
@Rambit
Put a new string number in the box you want to change, put the text in the box below. It is really that simple. However it does seem to take a minute to update the name on the unit list if it is a new string, but it does work.
I did that too, but then I go to play or control the 3 files language.dll and is there no new string!!!

[This message has been edited by AFFA the cleric (edited 01-28-2013 @ 03:16 PM).]

Rambit
Squire
posted 01-28-13 03:48 PM CT (US)     47 / 695       
So AGE copied data from God knows where it thought the civs 18-20 were (nowhere of course, so some unknown data). They probably messed up something that caused a crash.
Maybe I guess? To explain it more clearly: I copied a unit from ToME which had new graphic files rather than replaced like most of the units. So when I copied the unit and included the graphics the program would crash when trying to paste to the window which had no mention of graphics beyond the ones in the vanilla dat file, meaning they didn't exist.
The pasted civs 18-20 probably had totally incorrect damage graphic, attack, armor and command counts.
All I had to do to get it to work was deselect the include graphics option.
I did that too, but then I go to play or control the 3 files language.dll and is there no new string!!!
Do you have the "save language files" box ticked when you save the file?
AFFA the Cleric
Squire
posted 01-28-13 04:28 PM CT (US)     48 / 695       
Do you have the "save language files" box ticked when you save the file?
Yes i also ticked the "save language files" box, but still nothing! I don't know why but despite I have tried and tried many times, I am unable to add new strings.

In reality, what I need to do is add more strings to create new descriptions for the units and technologies, because all those free use, I've already eaten all ... but I need more!
Keisari Tapsa
Smith
posted 01-29-13 06:22 AM CT (US)     49 / 695       
John the Late, I managed to reproduce and fix your bug. Check the blacksmith.

Everyone

New release in the blacksmith!

Everyone who used the "Copy" button next to "Automatically" for many releases before now has their graphics wrong as you'll notice when you play. This only applies to multiple selections with gaps.

I made a scetch of various pasting methods.
I want your feedback and proposals for various problems with these.

Rambit
So when I copied the unit and included the graphics the program would crash when trying to paste to the window which had no mention of graphics beyond the ones in the vanilla dat file, meaning they didn't exist.
I don't think that's the cause of your crash.
The real reason is different civ count between copy and paste data.
I'll get it fixed soon.

AFFA the cleric
In reality, what I need to do is add more strings to create new descriptions for the units and technologies, because all those free use, I've already eaten all ... but I need more!
That might be impossible, but AGE 3 can add new strings on my computer at least.

Advanced Genie Editor
AFFA the Cleric
Squire
posted 01-29-13 06:47 AM CT (US)     50 / 695       
That might be impossible, but AGE 3 can add new strings on my computer at least.
Why? Why only on you computer and not on my?
Pulkit
Squire
posted 01-29-13 06:51 AM CT (US)     51 / 695       
Just to confirm, you did launch AGE3 with admin priviledges, yes?

Tales of Middle-Earth | Don't miss it
AFFA the Cleric
Squire
posted 01-29-13 06:55 AM CT (US)     52 / 695       
Yes i've did this too...but still nothing...no strings added.

[This message has been edited by AFFA the cleric (edited 01-29-2013 @ 06:58 AM).]

Jan dc
Squire
posted 01-29-13 07:20 AM CT (US)     53 / 695       
Would it be possible to save backups? For example the program makes a copy of the data file in the AGE folder and then if you have more than 3 backups(or any number chosen by the user) the program deletes the last one. I do this myself manually but it would be helpful if the program would do it automatically.

[This message has been edited by den cekke (edited 01-29-2013 @ 07:21 AM).]

Keisari Tapsa
Smith
posted 01-29-13 07:40 AM CT (US)     54 / 695       
I might make it optional that always when saving, a backup is created.

Advanced Genie Editor
AFFA the Cleric
Squire
posted 01-29-13 07:57 AM CT (US)     55 / 695       
@Keisari Tapsa

Keisary sorry for my continuous disturbance in this your topic, but I really need help!

Now I tell you exactly what I want to do, and I hope you can help me:

when I open the language_x1.dll file with resource hacker in the folder number 421 there is the last string for the description of the unit after starting the descriptions for technologies.
The last string of the unit corresponds to the number 6735, then i can't add more strings, I wanted to know how i can add the string number 6736, in order to automatically create the folder number 422, which will contain empty strings in addition to other number 6736?

thanks and sorry for the trouble!
Keisari Tapsa
Smith
posted 01-29-13 08:13 AM CT (US)     56 / 695       
If you want the new string into language_x1.dll, then don't open language_x1_p1.dll and select "Write to the latest file instead of the base file" on the open dialog.

Then select any unit and put 6736 into "Language DLL Creation" and put below it the new string you want.

Then on the save dialog select "Save language files" and hit OK. Be sure to have correct paths and have opened data with "Write language files".

I got this in Resource Hacker, in folder 422:

STRINGTABLE
LANGUAGE LANG_ENGLISH, SUBLANG_ENGLISH_US
{
6736, "AFFA"
}

Of course language_x1_p1.dll overtakes the other files...

Advanced Genie Editor
AFFA the Cleric
Squire
posted 01-29-13 08:58 AM CT (US)     57 / 695       
I'm sorry but I still do not understand ... I did the exact same thing several times, but it's useless!

[This message has been edited by AFFA the cleric (edited 01-29-2013 @ 08:59 AM).]

Keisari Tapsa
Smith
posted 01-29-13 09:12 AM CT (US)     58 / 695       
I'm not able to help you more.

Advanced Genie Editor
AFFA the Cleric
Squire
posted 01-29-13 09:13 AM CT (US)     59 / 695       
Thank you so much and still sorry for the annoyance!
Jan dc
Squire
posted 01-30-13 02:55 AM CT (US)     60 / 695       
I found a bug in 2.39 but if it's fixed in this version you can ignore this post.
When you insert a not existing research id(for example 493) under Tech. Trees/Age/Connected Researching the program crashes.
Keisari Tapsa
Smith
posted 01-30-13 04:47 AM CT (US)     61 / 695       
Thanks for reporting that, it still exists.
Also thanks for saying the AGE version.

I don't support anything else than the latest version, so before giving me a bug report, please download the latest version and test if the bug is still there.

Advanced Genie Editor
Jan dc
Squire
posted 01-30-13 05:11 AM CT (US)     62 / 695       
I'd rather wait with downloading a new version until I'm sure it's bug free=D.

Btw is it possible to change the population of units with a tech?
Keisari Tapsa
Smith
posted 01-30-13 06:06 AM CT (US)     63 / 695       
I'm not sure, but you can try attribute modifiers with attribute 21.

Advanced Genie Editor
Jan dc
Squire
posted 01-30-13 07:40 AM CT (US)     64 / 695       
Attribute 21 is for population support so it's adds to the max population(like houses and town centers).
In aoeI they use attribute 101 but in the conquerors that is creation time.
AFFA the Cleric
Squire
posted 01-30-13 08:52 AM CT (US)     65 / 695       
sorry I was wrong to write ...

[This message has been edited by AFFA the cleric (edited 01-30-2013 @ 08:53 AM).]

Vardamir
Huskarl
posted 01-30-13 09:04 AM CT (US)     66 / 695       
Btw is it possible to change the population of units with a tech?
If you can't change an attribute for it, you can try upgrading to a very similar unit that has a different population.
Jan dc
Squire
posted 01-30-13 09:18 AM CT (US)     67 / 695       
True but that would make AI much more complicated.
Keisari Tapsa
Smith
posted 01-31-13 02:15 PM CT (US)     68 / 695       
Guys, does anyone on this planet make attacks or armors differ between civilizations? I mean the stats under unit tab, not any technologies.

Also, does someone care to test if different civilizations can have different attack and armor counts?

Advanced Genie Editor
AFFA the Cleric
Squire
posted 01-31-13 02:54 PM CT (US)     69 / 695       
Sorry if I intrude again in this topic, but I have done this a year ago, in my mod each unit of every civilization has different statistics, and it all works perfectly, only for one thing, if you add a new unit with a different graphic than the originals, you must create its same corpse unit for all civilizations, because otherwise after a conversion from a enemy monk, the game crush!
another thing, if you change the projactile to a unit only for a civilization, when an enemy monk converts units with different projectile, the game crush!
but you can easily change all the statistics, as an attack, armor, LOS, movement speed and recharge time of attack, it works smoothly! also you can change the graphics of all melee units although different from other civilizations!
It is important that you pay attention to the corpses and the projectiles!

sorry again for the inconvenience...
John the Late
Knight
posted 01-31-13 02:58 PM CT (US)     70 / 695       
If you delete an armor class it is deleted for all other civs, too.... And I think I made armor differ once, but I changed it into a research so all tech games would not be outbalanced. (Did that to the Spanish cannon galley, too, the projectile gets upgraded by a civ bonus so it is turned off in all tech games. Which I rarely play but I like to keep consistent to the original game.)
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 ··· 10 ··· 20  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames