You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Mod Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, John the Late

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.693 replies
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Mod Design and Discussion » Introducing Advanced Genie Editor 3 with Language DLL Editing
Bottom
Topic Subject:Introducing Advanced Genie Editor 3 with Language DLL Editing
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 15 16 17 18 19  Next Page »
Keisari Tapsa
Smith
posted 01-25-13 03:34 PM CT (US)         
Finally you can edit language files in the Advanced Genie Editor.
Unfortunately, the library is broken and too complex for me to fix.
You can edit language files directly from the boxes which show lines from them.
The changes are stored to the base language file and if expansion files have data, they'll be wiped out.
There is an option to store changes to the latest expansion.
It should be possible to use any line between 0 and 65535 or maybe even more?

Here you can download it:
http://aok.heavengames.com/blacksmith/showfile.php?fileid=11002

This was all possible with C library by Apre:
https://github.com/apreiml/pcrio

Advanced Genie Editor
Follow coding here and here.

[This message has been edited by Keisari Tapsa (edited 06-14-2018 @ 04:10 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Zyth23
Squire
posted 04-05-17 03:55 AM CT (US)     561 / 693       
Yep.

Title translation : "Windows has protected your comptuer"
Button 1 translation : "Exectue anyway"
Button 2 translation : "Do not execute"

I've not tryied to execute, and this is the first time I saw this screen since I use windows 10, very strange.

[Age of Ancient Empires] Antiquity Total Conversion Project (Italic Unit set previews on 17.May.2017)
Keisari Tapsa
Smith
posted 04-05-17 04:14 AM CT (US)     562 / 693       
That is perfectly normal warning message when you try to launch new executables. I am shocked that you have not seen it before. Maybe you never install/run random executables from the internet?

Advanced Genie Editor
Zyth23
Squire
posted 04-05-17 04:30 AM CT (US)     563 / 693       
Meh...

Seriously it's the first time that internet exe makes that.
The previous AGE3 version didn't poped up this page.

Maybe a windows update that made this, but the old one is still perfectly working.

So that's "normal" that your last version create this message ?

[Age of Ancient Empires] Antiquity Total Conversion Project (Italic Unit set previews on 17.May.2017)
gag2000
Squire
posted 04-05-17 08:40 AM CT (US)     564 / 693       
Windows 10 + Windows Defender here, no warning with newest AGE3 and Windows Defender dont displays warnings like that message in the screen above.
Keisari Tapsa
Smith
posted 04-05-17 12:52 PM CT (US)     565 / 693       
In any case, unless someone has hacked the download in blacksmith, those buttons could be labeled as "Do you want to mod?" and "No thanks, I will keep vanilla game."

Advanced Genie Editor
Tocaraca
Squire
posted 04-06-17 07:31 AM CT (US)     566 / 693       
Keisari Tapsa please address my comment
Zyth23
Squire
posted 04-06-17 07:45 AM CT (US)     567 / 693       
So I'll redownload the file and even if it brings me up this pop up I'll gtfo it xP.

Thanks, I wanted to be sure I didn't do anything wrong ^^.

+ Question, is it possible to add a feature to see the .dat file value on .txt version ? (I like to analyse the data outside of the interface, sometime I found cool tricks for Lineage2 .dat so maybe I could find some hidden stuff on them)

(or if there is a program to get the .dat as text, can someone give me a link ?)

gag2000
Squire
posted 04-06-17 08:43 AM CT (US)     568 / 693       
Tocaraca
"I could garrison, but not shoot more arrows"

Just do a copy of the Chu-Ko-Nu and edit it with the changes you need, in AGE is a option in the unit section where you can choose how many projectile a unit fire.
Tocaraca
Squire
posted 04-06-17 06:42 PM CT (US)     569 / 693       
No gag2000 you missed my point, I want ships to fire more projectiles when garrisoned with archers, like towers do, but I'm not sure if it's possible, since it didn't work when I tried it, even when setting the type to building, or the class to tower. It might be hard coded
danielpereira
Squire
posted 04-06-17 06:57 PM CT (US)     570 / 693       
It's actually possible to do that: You just need to set the projectile amounts correctly and ensure that the Projectile Unit and the Duplicate Projectile Unit have different IDs.

The Portuguese Civ Mod III - Download at the Blacksmith
A mod that adds new civilizations, a new age, a new resource and introduces new gameplay features!
2nd place as Best Mod Pack in AoKH GOTY 2013 (PCM I) | 1st place as Best Mod Pack in AoKH GOTY 2015 (PCM II) | 2nd place as Best Mod Pack in AoKH GOTY 2017 (PCM III)

"And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful." - Revelation 21:5 (KJV)
Tocaraca
Squire
posted 04-06-17 09:05 PM CT (US)     571 / 693       
I've already done all of that and it just didn't work. I know how garrison arrows work for the most part. Based on the Teutonic Bombard Tower stuff it seems as if you don't actually need to have a secondary projectile in order to fire multiple projectiles, and the only reason that arrow-shooting towers have secondary projectiles at all is to make Watch Tower fights come down to who is garrisoning the most vills in the towers (the first arrow of a tower deals 1 damage to other towers, but the garrison arrows deal bonus to buildings and therefore they can kill each other quickly, and each vill adds a lot of attack). I'm not sure why Castles have different secondary projectiles to their primary one, but they always fire at least 5 arrows, and the extra ones deal bonus to stone defenses while the first one does not. If Bombard Towers have a "Total Projectiles *" value of 0, then obviously extra projectiles only comes down to "Max Total Projectiles *" which is usually also 0 for Bombard Towers but gets increased to 4 by a Teutons bonus (which increases the max projectiles of the Tower class by 4, most likely its intended use is to make Watch Towers able to fire more arrows after being garrisoned with 10 units).
It's very interesting stuff.
Tocaraca
Squire
posted 04-06-17 11:05 PM CT (US)     572 / 693       
I actually managed to make Longboats fire 1 arrow normal and multiple arrows when garrisoned inside by archers by doing the same thing as how Bombard Towers work. How strange! I love it! Now I need to nerf the default attack of the Longboat otherwise it's OP as ever :P
Zyth23
Squire
posted 04-20-17 03:55 PM CT (US)     573 / 693       
I've started to work today on a mod similar to Independant Architecture, but for the units.

And this is Very very very long to work on.

I wondered if it would be possible to have a new function, which would allow to import/export graphics data and units data from/to files.

Similar to .sql import/export style, the goal would be to allow fast update of any data mod.

Without that kind of function, my mod will take multiple month to be done, and all that work will be to redo at the next game update =/

Jineapple
Squire
posted 04-20-17 04:46 PM CT (US)     574 / 693       
If you check the Age of World Empires mod (thread on it also in this mod design forum) it does something similar, with different unit sprites for some civilization groups.

In general, you can use the genie library to do stuff like this with programming instead of doing it manually with the genie editor. However, installing the required libraries for that can be a bit tricky.
Bala Arizalu
Squire
posted 04-25-17 06:29 AM CT (US)     575 / 693       
Hey Tapsa, I think it's time to sync the A.G.E with UP 1.5 Beta
And just litte report:
Paste button and block-edit doesn't work at "Civilization" tab (in Initial Resource)

gag2000
Squire
posted 04-25-17 08:11 AM CT (US)     576 / 693       
i would wait until it is released to the public, up 1.5 is still aiscr internal, as you can read there in every update post.
Sebastien
Dark Samurai
posted 07-27-17 02:51 AM CT (US)     577 / 693       
Is this a known bug?

AGE keeps crashing randomly when I save and then corrupts my language file.
Cataphract887
Squire
posted 08-01-17 07:57 AM CT (US)     578 / 693       
Ive been getting visual runtime errors, when a few months ago the program was working fine. Maybe i have a wrong\outdated file somewhere from installing something else in the meantime?

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel
gag2000
Squire
posted 08-01-17 08:59 AM CT (US)     579 / 693       
hello, just a information that the latest version of A.G.E works without issues on Win 10 x64 here.
John the Late
Knight
posted 08-01-17 03:25 PM CT (US)     580 / 693       
Tatsuo: Have you edited your language file with any other programs? That problem only occurs with already corrupted files.
Keisari Tapsa
Smith
posted 08-03-17 06:38 AM CT (US)     581 / 693       
Yes Tatsuo, it is a known bug.

John is implying that the language editing works for properly formatted files - I have no proof of this.

Maybe I should put a popup message with detailed warning when user chooses to edit language file. Something like "At your own risk. Do not expect it to work at all. No support is given for language file related problems."

Cataphract887, have you extracted all the files in latest zip?

Advanced Genie Editor
Cataphract887
Squire
posted 08-04-17 02:20 AM CT (US)     582 / 693       
Yeah, i dumped it all into a new folder on my desktop. I rdownloaded it fresh from the blacksmith since you posted and put that in a fresh folder to double check...same issue. I suspect the issue is on my end though because like i said, few months ago it worked fine. My AoC still has unlocked units from the last time i used it to unlock them, like pile of food etc.

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel
BF_Tanks
Squire
posted 08-04-17 09:03 PM CT (US)     583 / 693       
I like to use PEBBLE32 for DLL editing. If AGE gives you problems with it, it's a good alternative.

Proud Member of Black Forest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil - Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009
and The Seas of Egressa - Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
gag2000
Squire
posted 08-05-17 06:19 AM CT (US)     584 / 693       
using resource hacker for DLL edition works also well, just to throw in another programm.
BF_Tanks
Squire
posted 08-10-17 01:10 AM CT (US)     585 / 693       
AGE won't let me save my language files for some reason and wont tell me why. It just says it cant "save expansion language patch file".

Not using HD, and I've edited language strings before back in AGE 3 (Pre-2017 version) without problems.
Edit: Even with the older version I'm getting "Unable to save language files"..
What the heck. Why is this happening?

Edit Edit:
Okay, It lets me save if I use a vanilla, un edited .dll file. Does this mean DLL edits are a one time commitment?

[This message has been edited by BF_Tanks (edited 08-10-2017 @ 01:41 AM).]

Keisari Tapsa
Smith
posted 08-10-17 06:27 AM CT (US)     586 / 693       
BF_Tanks, could you share your language file with me, so I can see if there is any chance of easy fix?

Advanced Genie Editor
ChaosLynx
Squire
posted 08-10-17 09:53 AM CT (US)     587 / 693       
Hello Kesairi Tapsa, commendable how you're still offering support for a tool since it came out 6 years ago, kudos for that. Must be getting tiresome logging in every day to check in on every user's issue...

My problem lies with Rise of the Rajas expansion. I want to edit the .dat files so that i can add a new unit. On Age of Kings+The Conquerors when i wanted to name my unit, i'd type "0" in "Language File Name" so that i could write whichever name i wanted without being restricted to whatever strings would be in the language file. Now that doesn't seem to work anymore, if I don't use a string from the language file my unit won't appear on the scenario editor list. So how can I name my unit to my liking?

- Aʀᴛ ѳғ Wᴀʀ -
BF_Tanks
Squire
posted 08-11-17 00:50 AM CT (US)     588 / 693       
@Keisari:

Thanks for the offer. Here's the one that wasn't allowing me to save to it.

Interestingly, I found I could finally save to it if I renamed the file something else. Maybe a problem in the file header? I have no clue about this, but just a hunch.

@ChaosLynx:

You need to edit the keyvalue files to add in a unique language ID for your unit. I don't mod HD so I'm not sure the exact steps, but I would guess you can simply read the file (It's plaintext) and see how they have done it.

[This message has been edited by BF_Tanks (edited 08-11-2017 @ 00:51 AM).]

ChaosLynx
Squire
posted 08-11-17 04:40 PM CT (US)     589 / 693       
@BF_Tanks

Does that mean i'm limited to some 100 or so custom units? Y'know, since there's a limited number of empty usable strings.

- Aʀᴛ ѳғ Wᴀʀ -
BF_Tanks
Squire
posted 08-12-17 04:47 AM CT (US)     590 / 693       
There's a hard limit of 0-65535 IDs used for names and creation strings, and a hard limit of -2147483648-2147483648, (though it's probably safer to not use negatives.) IDs for hotkey and help text strings.

Keisari Tapsa
Smith
posted 08-12-17 09:21 AM CT (US)     591 / 693       
@ChaosLynx
All you have to do is make your own language mod for the game. You basically create the mod folders as any other mod and then only copy the language file there and edit the lines you want.

@BF_Tanks
The hard limit used to be for every string. It was accident to pretend there was more than 65536 lines available. That's why I made those handy converters next to the actual data boxes. Perhaps those limits are now gone from the HD version for the help texts.

I have no problem to open and save your NG50IOk2fpU1_language_x1_p1.dll file. Can you screenshot your open and save dialogs and provide steps that caused the crash?

@Tatsuo
If you are still reading, could you also provide the language files for me that cause crash when saving? I'm feeling like trying to finally fix it.

Advanced Genie Editor
ChaosLynx
Squire
posted 08-14-17 02:14 PM CT (US)     592 / 693       
And how exactly do I do that? I tried it several different ways and it doesnt seem to be working...And when i edited the base lang file (not the one copied over to a mod folder) the game gave me a "File Error 12" and didn't even launch.

- Aʀᴛ ѳғ Wᴀʀ -
Keisari Tapsa
Smith
posted 08-21-17 03:00 AM CT (US)     593 / 693       
I made a very short guide for editing texts in HD.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1112216819

Advanced Genie Editor
Sebastien
Dark Samurai
posted 08-21-17 07:25 AM CT (US)     594 / 693       
If you are still reading, could you also provide the language files for me that cause crash when saving? I'm feeling like trying to finally fix it.
Unfortunately, I already overwrote them with new language files. I can probably replicate the error though and provide it to you.

Somebody mentioned something about editing on other software which corrupted them through AGE?

Well, I was using Resource Hacker to edit the language files. Actually, I didn't edit anything on the language file through AGE; I was only editing terrain data. It still crashed sometimes though and corrupted the languages files.

[This message has been edited by Tatsuo (edited 08-21-2017 @ 07:29 AM).]

Sebastien
Dark Samurai
posted 09-25-17 11:39 AM CT (US)     595 / 693       
..nvm

[This message has been edited by Sebastien (edited 09-25-2017 @ 11:51 AM).]

« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 15 16 17 18 19  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames