Archived News From June 2004
Due to the old age of most of these news items, all hyperlinks have been disabled. It is also not possible to comment on any of news. They are presented in their current form purely for your reading pleasure – it’s the closest thing to a time machine we can offer you!
- FOPT’s Simply the Best: Round 2
- Posted by Aro on June 28th, 2004 @ 3:50 p.m.
With many surprises and excellent recorded games Round 1 of our 1v1 Arabia Expert Tournament “Simply the Best” ended last night. Results and updated Brackets can be found here:
All visitors who want to download the games please visit the Tournament-Forum (). Remember you must be registered and logged in to be able to download files!
The deadline for Round 2 is July 4th, 23:59 GMT. To see the rest of the results and tourney info, check out the FOPT Clan website.
Simply the Best tournament is starting Round 2 today.
- MacDaddy’s Resignation
- Posted by Aro on June 27th, 2004 @ 6:57 a.m.
- Unfortunately, our current Ladder administrator MacDaddy has resigned from his Cherub position.
As many of you have realized, I have not been doing an adequate job as moderator since my cushy job at Proctor and Gamble ended in mid January. I have been able to catch up with updating the ladder at the Bethel College computer lab while attending to attain my BSN. Since I have graduate, cramming for boards and be unable to use the school computer later this summer; I am retiring from my position as AoKH Cherub.
I will remain as an active player on the ladder and see many of you in Agincourt but will not be on the website very often (except to post my losses).
Best of luck in the future, MacDaddy! If you want to say goodbye,to his resignation thread.
Sorry for the lateness in posting this.
- Your Longest / Best Game Ever
- Posted by Aro on June 26th, 2004 @ 5:44 a.m.
- Over in the forum, Leinad le Grand has posted a thread asking what everybody’s longest and best game was. It has gotten quite a few interesting games so far. Want to post up your game? Feel free to reply to the thread with your stories.
- Training Camp Archived
- Posted by Aro on June 25th, 2004 @ 3:17 a.m.
- Because of the it’s recent inactivity, the Training Camp will be archived until further notice. We’ll see what we can do about getting the previous Training Camp program into commission in the future. For now, these archives will be all that remain of it. If you have any questions, please .
- For All Recently-Submitted Articles…
- Posted by Aro on June 23rd, 2004 @ 9:52 p.m.
- CrystalCrown will be gone for the rest of this week, so don’t be worried if your articles aren’t placed up. (Bad timing, I know. ;-)) If you have any articles to send, just and he’ll be sure to get them up upon his return.
- RTS League’s Michi Sign-Ups
- Posted by Aro on June 23rd, 2004 @ 4:47 p.m.
1) There will be only 1 game per week (therefore only 1 opponent)
2) There will be specific maps, available for download on this site, that can only be used (to avoid unfair, too many resource maps)
3) All clans must fill in this form as it is season 1.
1. Full Name and Tag of Clan
2. League you want to join (AoC-Michi in this case)
3. Location and Language of Communication (write “International/English” if you have members from several countries)
4. Date of Foundation
5. Number of ACTIVE members (in AoC-Michi that is)
6. Joining Restrictions (if any)
8. ZF-Name, Email (optional MSN Messenger, ICQ) of Clan-Leader
9. ZF-Name, Email (optional MSN Messenger, ICQ) of Clan-Operator
Want to sign your clan up? Feel free to over at the RTS League website.
AoC Michi sign-ups are open until Thursday, July 1st, and will start on July 5th. Quoted from FOPT_Honeycomb_ on the League’s site…
- AoKH Nothing Arabia Tournament
- Posted by Aro on June 23rd, 2004 @ 2:36 a.m.
Sign-up time will last 2 weeks starting from June 13, ending Sunday June 27th.
As stated before, the first round will begin Monday June 28th.
To sign up post your Zone Nick, email in this thread and state your approximate skill level (newb, rook, inter, etc) and rating (if applicable). All skill levels are welcome.
If you want to sign up for either “rookie” or “high-rookie” rules, then please post either “rookie rules” or “hight-rookie” rules in the post too.
All players must be registered at AoKH and have joined the AoKH RM Ladder to sign up. You do not have to have played any ladder games yet, simply post in this thread with your Zone Nick that you would like to join. You are under no obligation to continue playing ladder games. However, it is a good way to play against other forumers, so it is recommended.
Everyone who has signed up here is on the ladder.
You may only sign up once. Anyone caught smurfing will have both of their entries disqualified.
You can find more rules and etc in thefor this event.
is hosting a Nothing Arabia tournament here at AoKH. Nothing Arabia is a version of the standard Arabia map, except it’s name speaks the truth – wood is the only resource available, other than relics. Quoted from Myll_Slaghter…
- End of World Clan League
- Posted by Aro on June 22nd, 2004 @ 5:12 p.m.
- For this season, at least. The
.: League A
1st – BsK ($10.000)
2nd – Legion Clan ($6.000)
3rd – StorM ($3.500)
4th, 5th and 6th – dispute between Cath, SWJ and PL ($2.000 – $1.500 – 1.000)
7th – CsI ($800)
8th – ArgoNaut ($200)
9th – UD
10th – Tsunami
11th – CF
.: League B
1st – RoR (prizes will be defined this week)
2nd – KGB (prizes will be defined this week)
3rd – Ximen (prizes will be defined this week)
4th – FodA
5th – Arg
6th – Celtic
7th – EoK
8th – IB
9th – UL_King
10th – Nublex
You can feel free to, or for the matches that occurred.
World Clan League, which was very successful, has officially ended for this season. Here’s the clan standings from their site:
- Two FOPT Tournaments Starting!
- Posted by Aro on June 21st, 2004 @ 6:40 p.m.
Simply the Best (1v1 Arabia Experts Tournament):
–> Deadline Round 1: Sunday, June 27th.
2v2 Black Forest Tournament:
–> Deadline Round 1: Sunday, June 27th.
Good luck to all that are participating!
“Simply the Best” and 2v2 Black Forest tournaments are starting today. Here’s the bracket and forum links from over at the FOPT site…
- AoKH RM tourney finished
- Posted by Qazitory on June 12th, 2004 @ 8:40 p.m.
- AoKH random map tourney reached it’s conclusion yesterday, when a newer acquaintance, DM_Gregor defeated a former ladder champion, Vogue_brit in 2 games. Congratulations to Gregor and well done Vogue as well!
The final brackets can be seen. Thank you very much Gordon B and Myll_Slaghter_ for organizing this, the tourney had a special old time AoKH feeling. The recorded games can be downloaded at .
Also I’d like to thank the players – even though many matches had to be played overseas, the rounds were all played on time!
- FOPT’s 2v2 Black Forest Tourney
- Posted by Aro on June 11th, 2004 @ 7:56 a.m.
- The FOPT Clan’s FOPT_Membrillo is hosting a 2v2 Black Forest tournament for AoC.
We strongly suggest that you join you are good on BF (good is around 1700/1750++).
Like all of you know the BF community is very closed so we all know the skills of other players, but we also expect that others who do not play BF alot and have nice skills in open maps will join because 2vs2 BF is really different from 1vs1 BF and 1vs1 in any map.
Now if you want to join, you must post your Zone-Friends name and rating here (remember that we need both yours and your partner’s ZF and rating). Also include in your email.
for the FOPT’s tournament, or feel free to . (Sign-ups are only until the 18th of this month.)
- Blacksmith Feature
- Posted by Anastasia on June 9th, 2004 @ 0:58 a.m.
- Prince of Persia by ENOTH is an extraordinary depiction of eighth century Persia and is one of the most challenging campaigns there is. The fictional campaign is an imaginative journey into a forgotten past.
The very soil of Gurgan is soaked with blood of kings and princes, of mighty warriors, whose names we hardly recollect.
The Best Of AoK design can be considered a departure from the many other works by the ENOTH team that except for thedesigns are all historical themes. ENOTH is an uncommon scenario design team because they do not have scenario design as their main interest, and their members are first and foremost a group of Historians. Nevertheless, they have been a powerhouse of AoK scenario design. They have released more than a dozen Campaigns including a , plus many other Single Player designs and AI scripts to the Blacksmith. There are four excellent scenarios in the historical fiction, and all with a mix of game play that will challenge even the veteran player. is also the first single player campaign to have Taunt to Trigger commands and successfully enhance the single player experience with the feature.
Don’t play this campaign! Aside from the challenging aspects that will prove difficult even for the best of players, it also has the infamous Taunt to Trigger Bug. Combine that with the surprise events that will force many restarts, and it’s really not worth the trouble just to see four fantastic map designs of Persia. Yes, the Taunt to Trigger works as intended sometimes, but the ‘bug’ caused by the saving of the game can create frustration and sometimes the Taunt to Trigger commands do not work or work as expected. Prince of Persia is really only for those who wish to test their metal as a RTS player, and at the same time can work past the otherwise amazing Taunt to Trigger feature that is problematic. Anyway, the incredible mix of game play will surely exploit your every weakness as a player and make for a terrible time. Sure, I became a better AoK player by the time I achieved victory at Amol long ago, but one doesn’t have to acquire that level of patience and skill for the majority of designs at the Blacksmith…Most players will probably be better off playing something else. Now for those who will playin spite of my warning, just remember there is always the Taunt to Trigger Bug excuse. 😉
Angel Tanneur99 has given a great overview of the campaign, and helpful advice for the problems created with the Taunt to Trigger aspects of Prince of Persia in his excellentReview.
The events take place approximately in the second half of the eighth century in the east of Asia Minor or in Northern Iran (to the south of the Caspian Sea)…Prince Farroh has several real prototypes – Iranian princes and nobles, who had to leave their native land after the fall of Tabaristan to the Arabs (c. 757 A.D.). Able generals and administrators, they served other rulers, among them the Emperors of Tibet and China. Their gravestones inscribed in Pahlavi and Chinese can still be seen in Western China and Central Asia.
The historic fiction is unique because it is not merely a changing of well known historic events into a ‘What if’ scenario, or the supplanting of a character into a written History. The story is about a time in the Middle East for which remains very little by the way of historical records. All that seems to remain is a few written inscriptions, some coins, and scattered ruins to mark what were perhaps the most profound changes of the region in and around Modern Iran. Therefore this fiction created from all the fragments that could be dug up through research is much like an archeological hypothesis, and is used to create an entertaining and highly probable story of the time. The game-plot attempts to place the player and our hero Prince Farroh in situations that resemble real life. Often the player is startled by an event or is left to turn the story’s page on their own by choosing a new direction, or new strategy to complete the scenario chapter.
Enough said…go and play!
- Two New Angels!
- Posted by Aro on June 4th, 2004 @ 7:21 a.m.
- I’d like to congratulate CrystalCrown and welcome Sunshine, Age of Kings Heaven’s newest Angels.
Sunshine has joined the AoKH team to help out with the Game Info section and maybe some other content in the future, while the newly-promoted CrystalCrown will take theout of my hands.
Welcome and congrats guys!
- Posted by Anastasia on June 2nd, 2004 @ 5:22 a.m.
- GeniEd2 now for AoK The Conquerors! A must have game enhancing program created by Ykkrosh is
GeniEd2, originally created for Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds game, has been greatly improved and now includes Age of Kings: The Conquerors (Currently does not support non-expansion AoK). The excellent program is arguably the greatest thing to happen to AoK TC. GeniEd2’s creator Ykkrosh describes the editor as, “a quick and straightforward way to edit the unit stats from AoK:TC’s empires2_x1.dat and empires2_x1_p1.dat. You can alter almost everything from hit-points and movement speed to projectiles and construction costs.”
Yes, with GeniEd2 we can make changes for just about everything in the game; units, buildings, garrisoning, icon images, projectiles, and more! Change the stats for each civilization (including Gaia), or all of them with one click. I’ve even created player one units that do not reveal the map! Only that is just the half of what this game enhancing editor can do. I’ve been testing and also communicating with my fellow scenario designers, BerserkerJerker, and DM who are both way ahead of me in discovering the seemingly endless possibilities for enhanced Single Player Scenario and Campaign design.
DM (Darkmaster) provides a screenshot from his tests (aspect is purposely exaggerated).
BerserkerJerker describes GeniEd2: “You can get items/units in the trigger list that you couldn’t get before. This in turn allows you to set triggers that could not previously be set, an example: Create object – “flare”, this will create a flare on the mini-map. Another is: create object – “CLF06”, this creates an invisible cliff with a trigger, or own object – “Arrow 20” – player 1, this detects an arrow being shot from an archer, the list goes on and on! I’m going though the triggers one by one and finding many things that were previously impossible. These altered triggers will work in a scenario on any machine regardless; you don’t even need the altered .dat file. It essentially opens the editor right up, everything that is in the game (beta units, arrows, dead units, etc.) can now be added to the trigger list.”
Thank you Ykkrosh!
in the Modpack Discussion Forum!