Archived News From November 2005
Due to the old age of most of these news items, all hyperlinks have been disabled. It is also not possible to comment on any of news. They are presented in their current form purely for your reading pleasure – it’s the closest thing to a time machine we can offer you!
- Age of Kings Heaven Forummer of the Year Awards
- Posted by Anastasia on November 29th, 2005 @ 0:40 a.m.
- Foty is upon us!
“2005 has passed. Was it a flash? Was it at the blink of an eye? Did something monumental happen to you? Have you not shed tears and laughed infinite laughter throughout these 365 days? We got a month left. December. For Tc, that means Foty month! For the past year, AoKH has had five Mafia games, 5 Splash Splashes, over 600 topics, and a whole lot of fun. New faces, moderators, and developments in scenario design. After all these years, AoKH is still a strong and great community forum. And here in this thread, we honor those who make it great. I’m kevingamer prime, Aka “kevo” and I’ll be your host, again, for the Fourth Annual Forummer of the Year Awards!” -kevo
Foty is a community event, so everyone please cast your votes!
, is a thread where you can vote for your favorite AOKH members in many specific categories. It kind of creates a year-book like snapshot of the AOKH forums, but it’s main purpose is to bring the AOKH community together in the . Once again kevingamer prime will do the honors of hosting the event. Here is an excerpt from :
- Thanksgiving Strategy?
- Posted by Anastasia on November 24th, 2005 @ 7:09 a.m.
- It’s Thanksgiving in the United States, a time to celebrate our good fortune and pig out … I mean turkey out! Anyway, the focus of Thanksgiving in the United States is a very large meal, typically featuring a large, roasted turkey. Numerous other foods are served along with the main dish too — so many that, because of the amount of food, the meal is sometimes served midday or early afternoon to make time for all the eating. Thanksgiving holds many traditions, but I think all will agree that the meal is a challenge. So, it’s stands to reason that an Age of Kings gamer would want to devise a strategy for it, and AOKH member Jeffrey has shared some of his in a topic aptly titled
“Thanksgiving is my favorite of holidays. A day where gluttony is not a sin and football reigns supreme. Thanksgiving is an all-around American Holiday.
I am going to eat more than is considered humanly possible this year. Last year I screwed up bad, I started on a pace I couldn’t maintain. I forgot that it is not a sprint, but a marathon. This year I am going to pace myself and simply dominate from appetizer to desert.” – Jeffrey
So, feel free to share your thoughts, and yourstrategy in Jeffrey’s topic, and on behalf of the staff of Age of Kings Heaven, I wish everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving!
. Here is an excerpt from Jeffrey’s topic in the Town’s Crier Forum:
- Using Archers in Combat
- Posted by Anastasia on November 18th, 2005 @ 10:28 a.m.
- There is a great discussion about using archers in combat in the . The topic quickly turned into a debate about using CA’s (Cavalry Archers) for raiding. The argument over cost and effectiveness of CA’s versus using Knights and/or other units in combination is quite interesting, even for a single player enthusiast like me. Actually the topic by leonart began as a question regarding losing to the Computer AI if it has archers. In any event, if you want to enter the debate, or note your general experience with using Archers, check out !
- AOKH Historical Campaign Contest Results!
- Posted by Anastasia on November 3rd, 2005 @ 11:14 a.m.
The results of the contest are in!
The First Place Honor goes to Stephen Richards for!
The Second Place Honor goes to Duncan Hardy for !
Check out thefor the complete results and to congratulate the winners!
The AOKH Historical Campaign Contest was well conceived and win, place, and show, is surely a measure of excellence for AoK scenario design. Over 80 designers set out initially to compete in the contest, and the four who managed to make the qualifying round can be proud, not only of their determination and endurance but of their exceptional design prowess that brought the designs from the planning stage to completion. Scenario design contests, are an experience that is very similar to professional scenario designer working on Game Development teams. There is a lot to be said for taking a design to completion under preset rules for theme and content in a limited amount of time. With some of the greatest minds in scenario design today as judges: Tanneur99, Berserker Jerker, rwilde, and Luke_Feanor, this Historical Campaign Contest served to mark who among us are truly outstanding scenario designers, and we admire them very much.